Author Topic: William Rogers 1804 - Sutton, Cambridgeshire?  (Read 5504 times)

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rogers Motto "nos nostraque deo"
    • View Profile
William Rogers 1804 - Sutton, Cambridgeshire?
« on: Sunday 23 February 14 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

looking for his parents baptisms, were they in Sutton as well?, please ignore my last post about Littleport, resolved that with a bit of research.

Parents are: William Rogers and Elizabeth(don't know her maiden name yet), not sure about dates. Wondering if the link is with Sutton later on or Littleport.

Thanks for your help,
Rogers,Arnett, Day,Wilkin, Gill, Leach, Harper, Dewsbury, Johnson, Thompson. (All from Cambridgeshire).

Y DNA: R1b DF27(Iberian Celtic)

Offline anneb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Rogers 1804 - Sutton, Cambridgeshire?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 February 14 17:20 GMT (UK) »
There's a William Rogers s of William and Elizabeth baptised in Sutton 30th September 1805.A marriage between William Rogers and Elizabeth Mitchel 11th April 1805.

I've had a quick look for a baptism of William snr-there's one on 30th September 1773-son of Thomas and Elizabeth. The age would be about right but there may be others. Lots of Rogers in Sutton.

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 February 14 18:24 GMT (UK) »
There's a William Rogers s of William and Elizabeth baptised in Sutton 30th September 1805.A marriage between William Rogers and Elizabeth Mitchel 11th April 1805.

I've had a quick look for a baptism of William snr-there's one on 30th September 1773-son of Thomas and Elizabeth. The age would be about right but there may be others. Lots of Rogers in Sutton.

Thanks for your help, very kind of you, does it say where they were born?, all Sutton?,
Rogers,Arnett, Day,Wilkin, Gill, Leach, Harper, Dewsbury, Johnson, Thompson. (All from Cambridgeshire).

Offline anneb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 February 14 21:13 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't say where they were born but they were baptised in Sutton so were probably born there.

I've found a baptism of Elizabeth Mitchell d of Francis and Ann on 26th September 1784 in Sutton

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 February 14 22:12 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't say where they were born but they were baptised in Sutton so were probably born there.

I've found a baptism of Elizabeth Mitchell d of Francis and Ann on 26th September 1784 in Sutton

One more favour, could you please check the marriage of William Rogers and Mary Jefferson?, does it list where they were born?, I'm trying to track down at what point my family moved from Sutton to Littleport. William is the son of William senior and Elizabeth. I think he was born in 1804 but not sure if it's Sutton or Littleport. Maybe the marriage has recorded this.

Thanks for your help :)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Marriage entries have never given details  of birth places. The most you can hope for is that a parish of residence is given, but this is the parish of residence at the time of the marriage, not necessarily the place of birth.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline anneb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, can't find the marriage in Sutton and I don't have Littleport PRs.They could have married in Littleport or one of the neighbouring parishes.As bedfordshire boy says the PRs won't tell you the place of birth, usually it just says if they lived in the parish or not.

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I think they must have married in Littleport then, I will see what I can find, thanks to you both for your help, much appreciated. :)

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Don't think this William is my ancestor now :(, but thanks for looking into it, according to this website he died in 1825:

http://www.bradshaw32.plus.com/family/00060625.htm

So he couldn't have married my ancestor Mary Jefferson and lived in Littleport later on, oh well another brick wall!, thought he was my ancestor as the date matches and there don't seem to be any other William's that match the birth date. Can someone do me a favour and confirm that family tree website is correct?, need to know if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

I think it's correct, found an entry on Free Reg:

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Burials&RecordID=6455313

just so we're on the same page, I'm looking for my ancestor William Rogers c1806:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2gktj4xws9e9vu/1841%20Census-William%20Rogers%20-%20Born%20c1802.jpg

No William Rogers in the St George's records so looking for others that might be a possible match, says in the census he was born in Cambs.