Author Topic: Dodds and McCauley, from Co. Antrim to Mt. Morris, New York  (Read 14845 times)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dodds and McCauley, from Co. Antrim to Mt. Morris, New York
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 04:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Linda.  When I have some free time I will see if I can dig up any additional information on this family.  With best wishes, Paul

Offline William Gamble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 December 14 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Paul,
 I see that you are researching Irish families in the Groveland and Mount Morris, NY areas. I am as well. I have been focusing on the Gamble, McNeilly, Gregg, Service, and King families, which came primarily from the Ballyeaston, County Antrim area. Several branches of these families came over together and there were many marriages amount the families in New York. If I can be of any assistance let me know,
Bill

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 December 14 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Bill,
Thanks for contacting me through this forum.  Lately, I have been concentrating on finding
my grandfather's relatives who settled in Livingston Co., around the area of Mt. Morris.  My grandfather resided there for a while before moving first to San Rafael and then later to San Francisco.  I have located some living relations there, but they have not  responded as of yet.
When and if they do, I am sure that they can fill in numerous gaps for me as they were having Macauley reunions at least up until the 1930s.  The Fulton History site has been a great help thanks to its digitalized newspapers.  Thank you very much for your kind offer, though.  As you said, that area is full of people who emigrated from the towns of Glenwherry, Ballyeaston, and Ballyalbanagh.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 December 14 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Possibly connected to the Macauleys I am searching:

1.  James McCauley m. 1846 Ellen Killen at Glenwherry Presbyterian Ch., Ballymena
2.  James McCauley
2.  John McCauley
2.  Jane McCauley
2.  Sarah McCauley
2.  Ellen McCauley m. 1890 David Bonnar (1864-1918) at Wellington St., Presbyterian.  He was a farmer and they lived at Crosshill, Glenwherry.
3.  Ellen Brice Bonnar, b. 1896; perhaps died in South Africa
3.  Jane H. M. Bonnar (1903-1995); died London, England...Ellen and Jane's graves are in Cottonwood, Minnesota.  Nice headstone but bodies were probably not buried there.
2.  Edward McCauley (1862-1959); emigrated to U.S. in 1883; returned to Co. Antrim and married in 1893 to Annie Martin (1874-1925); they lived Amo Township, Cottonwood, Minnesota, where Ed owned 440 acres of land.
3.  Edward James McCauley, Jr. (1896-1950) m. Inga Helen Eidem (1899-1990), dau of John E. Eidem and Marit Grotte
3.  Crawford Brice McCauley (1898-1956)

Offline snichols

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 April 15 01:15 BST (UK) »
For Billy Adair:   http://www.templehillcemetery.com/name.asp?ID=13

My relatives (Houston/Nevin) knew him & his relatives quite well.   They all came from Antrim to Livingston County, NY.

Sharon

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 April 15 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, Sharon,
Thanks for your post.  Would it possible for you to give me additional information as
to what you know about this family.  The Adairs, Macauleys, Buchanans and Dodds who settled
in the Mt. Morris area of Livingston County, mostly all came from around the same area
of Co. Antrim and were seemingly related through marriage.  I look forward to your response.
Best wishes, Paul 

Offline rjservis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 May 15 07:23 BST (UK) »
I have information on the McCauley connection...

Elizabeth McCauley was the daughter of Robert McCauley and Elizabeth Service (1824-1909).  Elizabeth Service was the daughter of John Service and Sarah Gardner of Carlena, Antrim, Northern Ireland.  Elizabeth's brothers John, Samuel, and George (my 2nd great grand father) settled in Groveland and Geneseo.  Samuel moved west.  Elizabeth's brothers David (1851) and John (1855) also came to the Livingston County area...

Hope this helps...

R

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 May 15 09:04 BST (UK) »
R., many thanks for your additional input.  When I get some free time, I will be sending some letters off to some Macauley and Adair families living in that area to see if they if they know how the various Macauley families connect.  By the way, their is a huge Gardiner (Gardner) connection, if you are not already aware of it.  With best wishes from Osaka, Japan...Paul

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 August 16 06:04 BST (UK) »
1.  John M'Cawley, b. Braidlee, Glenwherry; late of Ardymaugh, d. aged 102; m.  Jane Gardiner (Gardner) of Magheraban.  They had four sons and six daughters, 19 grandsons and 27 granddaughters.

2.  Robert McCauley m. Elizabeth Service, dau of John Service and Sarah Gardner.  John Service died in 1868. (Elizabeth's brothers were John, Sam, and George, all emigrated to USA; other brothers were David and John, ? stayed Ire.?) (John Service, farmer of Carnlea, died 1868; probate of will granted to Eliza M'Auley, wife of Robert M'Auley of Ballunashee and Balluclare, his dau and next of kin).

3.  David Macauley m 1. in 1871 Agnes J. Gardiner (1858-1905) at Ballymena 3rd Presbyterian Church; he m. 2 in 1909 to Mary A. Campbell; burial in Mumford Rural Cemetery, New York.

3.  Sarah Jane McCauley m. 1875 William Robinson, son of Thomas Robinson and Mary Townsley, of Ballyalbanagh.

4.  Lizzie (Elizabeth) Robinson

4.  Andrew Robinson

4.  Robert Robinson

4.  Thomas Robinson; single.  He died Groveland, New York.

4.  Mary (Minnie) Robinson m. William Blair of Ballycor, son of Samuel Blair, and had

5.  James Blair

5.  Sarah Jane Blair

5.  Samuel Blair

5.  George Blair

5.  Patrick Blair

5. William Blair

5.  Andrew Blair

5.  John Blair

5.  ?Alexander Blair?

5.  ?Elizabeth Blair?

*  Tom Robinson in his will mentioned Minnie Fee and Mrs Robert J. McKeown;  relationship of these two unknown at this time;  Robert James McKeown of Ballyalbana, died in 1964; retired railway employee; probate of his will granted to William Robert McKeown, employee of Ulster Transport Authority and Thomas Andrew McKeown, motor mechanic.

**Estate of  Jane Owens Wilson, widower, 1928:  Tenants on her lands in Ballynashee and Ballynure were the following:

James McCauley
James Gardner McCauley
John McCauley
George McCauley
William Mills
Thomas Huston McKeown
Annie McKeown(wife of Robert McKeown)
Daniel Martin

***Ballynashee--Thomas Huston McKeown of Ardymaugh, Ballynashee, farmer, died 1930; probate of his will to James McKeown, farmer.

4.  George Macaulay Robinson (1881-1972) died San Francisco. CA; m. 1910 Honora (Nora) Marie Higgins, dau of Thomas and Bridget Higgins of Tuam, Co. Galway.

5.  George Leonard Robinson (1911-2006) m. Barbara, both dec./ with issue

5.  William Robert Robinson (1914-1987) m. Laney Isabel Adams (1922-1978), dau of Grover Chasey Adams and Minnie Arizona Lawson.

5.  Thomas Francis Robinson (1915 - c. 1985) m. ? Gina? w/issue

5.  John (Joseph A.) Vincent Robinson (1920-2004) m. Wanda Gunnells, dau of Mose Gunnells and Allie Taylor, w/issue.

5.  Paul Andrew Macaulay-Robinson (1923-1988) m. (still living), w/issue

3.  Jenny McCauley m. 1881 @ Wellington Street Presbyterian Church to William Houston Dodds (1858-1946), son John Dodds and Martha Houston of Ballyabangh.  In Livingston Co., NY, William served as the Supt. of Highways from 1897 - 1905.

4.  Elizabeth McCauley Dodds (1884-1947) m. George W. Richmond (George later remarried to Roxy G.  George died in 1962).

3.  Elizabeth McCauley m. 1886 to James Buchanan.  James d. 1940, aged 75. (Buchanan brothers were Hugh, NY, William, NY, Samuel, NY, Andrew, NY, John of Ire., Charles, Ire., James, NY, Jessie, NY; sisters, Martha, Ire.)

4. Joseph S. Buchanan, b. 1887, Co. Antrim; m. Katherine Riordan in USA