Author Topic: Blackmore Family in Presteigne, Radnorshire 1881  (Read 10808 times)

Offline mayne knott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blackmore Family in Presteigne, Radnorshire 1881
« on: Monday 24 February 14 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help?  I've been researching the "Blackmore" Family who lived in Presteigne, Radnorshire  from (according to various wales census returns) between 1861 to 1881.  I'm particularly interested in finding out what happened to Sarah T Blackmore after 1881.  This census shows she was living in St Davids St aged 64 yrs. She is listed as a widow.  Birthplace Grand River, Upper Canada, British North America in 1817.  Her husband was a member of the Radnorshire Rifles and he may have died in some military conflict prior to 1881.  She is completely off the radar after this date of 1881 and nowhere to be seen. I can't find any death records at all.  Her son, Thomas Blackmore is living in Birmingham, Warwickshire from 1881 onwards and she is not with them.  Any help will be most appreciated

David   
UK: Mayne Knott, Knott, Freeman, Caisley, Uncles, Harvey, Palmer, Guest, Sheffield, Blackmore, Nicholls, Purves
US: Uncles, Breadney.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Blackmore Family in Presteigne, Radnorshire 1881
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 February 14 15:56 GMT (UK) »
The 1871 shows her husband as William aged 58 b Bideford Devon plus a son John C aged 30 b Salisbury Wiltshire

he married in Presteigne in 1872 but then also seems to disappear
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 February 14 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello
1881 Wales Presteigne
Chapel Terrace

John C Blackmore age 40  born Salisbury Wiltshire Coal and Lime Agent (Merchant)
Emma wife age 35  rest born Presteigne
William H son age 9
John C son age 7

John C Blackmore age 17 from Presteigne apprentice in Birmingham 1891

William H Blackmore age 29 from Presteigne Ironmongers assistant Herefordshire with wife Elizabeth A from Hereford
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mayne knott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 February 14 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carole, thanks for your reply.  I do have a copy of the 1871 census and was aware of the status of this family at that time.  This family has been very problematic to trace I'll try and summarize, if possible, where I am with this family.  For William Blackmore - The England census return (H.O. 107. 1628) for 1851 shows that at the time of this census he was serving in the Royal Navy (declared as a "Seaman in the RN" by his wife, Sarah Blackmore).  The census shows that the family are living in Minster, Sheerness, Kent.  His youngest son, John R Blackmore is declared as being 1 Yr old, birthplace Kent, Sheerness.  Records (FreeBMD) show that this birth was registered at Greenwich, Qtr3 in 1850.  There is a significant gap in age (some 10 years) between him and his older brother (John C Blackmore).  Based on research into Naval Medal Rolls and a later census of 1861 it seems likely that William Blackmore had joined the Royal Navy around 1843- 1844 and possibly earlier than this.  Military record searches (ADM 171 / 6 page 239) list him on the ship's company for HMS Vanguard "as cruising off Alexandra and on the coast of Syria" in about 1841 - the date of this action further supports the possibility of him joining the Royal Navy before 1843.  A further search of naval medal rolls list him on HMS Albion about 1856 in the Crimea War.  The medal roll lists him in the Sea Marine Brigade.   The 1861 and 1871 census returns show William Blackmore now back in Presteigne, Radnorshire.  He is serving in the Radnorshire Rifles as a "Bugle Major"  The Radnorshire Rifles were a Militia group formed in 1763 and named the Radnorshire Militia.  During the following 16 years the militia went through a number of changes or mergers (merged with the South Breckonshire Rifles).  Further changes or mergers took place which resulted in this Militia group becoming known as the South Wales Borderers.  They finally became known as The Royal Regiment of Wales. 
The 1881 census does not show William Blackmore - only his wife, Sarah is listed.  She declared she is a Widow aged 64 working as a Tailoress.  She is living at St David Street, Presteigne.  At this stage no official record showing the death of William Blackmore can be found.  Further research into the national archives shows that on record W.O. 100 .47 he is listed being engaged in Zulu war 1879 serving with the depot.  History records that there was a supply depot supporting the British Army at this time.  Further research would be difficult but its not unreasonable to assume that he could have been killed in this conflict.
My reason for interest in this family is that William and Sarah Blackmore were my GtGTGrandparents. Sorry if this summary is quite "lengthy" but I thought it best to offer a full explanation rather than bits of information.

David
UK: Mayne Knott, Knott, Freeman, Caisley, Uncles, Harvey, Palmer, Guest, Sheffield, Blackmore, Nicholls, Purves

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 February 14 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A bit strange to have 2 sons both called John but they are both on the 1851 as you say

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N2ZM-QD
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mayne knott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 February 14 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Carole, yes it is a bit strange - the give-away appears to be in the middle name initial  for both of them  - John - the elder John C born Wilts, Salisbury and the younger John R born Kent, Sheerness.  I've done some searching previously on the FreeBMD index "Blackmore John Charles" qtr3 1850 registered at Greenwich. There's also another John Blackmore birth qtr4 1841 registered at Fordingbridge covers Hampshire and Wiltshire.  Could it possibly be a transcription error on the 1851 census??

David

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 February 14 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I don't think it's an error.  There are 2 entries each with different ages and different birthplaces.  The only other time I've come across children of the same name in the same family is when there is a
re-marriage involved and there are children from both marriages.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 February 14 23:26 GMT (UK) »
It gets stranger

In 1861 - the son born Sheerness is William aged 16

RG9 Piece 4232 Folio 83 Page 10

Offline mayne knott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carole - stranger and stranger.  The freeBMD index lists William Henry Blackmore born qtr4 in 1844 district Sheppy.  In fact it's recorded twice.  Information from the list of registration places for Sheppy shows Minster in Sheppy.  The 1851 census confirms that they were living in the parish of Minster, Sheppy at Benthams Square. I had not thought about the possibility of remarriage.  It may be the children's birth certificate is the way to go - but which one will give the right answer!  More searching by the looks of it.

David