Author Topic: Blyth Flood 1900 - Information Sought!  (Read 7314 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth Flood 1900 - Information Sought!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phodgetts,

Hi Phodgetts,

Many thanks indeed for that, very much appreciated.

Fantastic photo, incredibly clear too. Is that looking towards Bridge Street or would Bridge Street be behind the photographer?

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David

Folly Road is now called Park Road, and the view is looking south. This is the view on modern mapping today;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.1231709,-1.5030742,3a,89.6y,340.67h,83.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUrCqHMsV2DH9mw5X-2RZnA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Many thanks for the link, am now correctly oriented! ;D Had confused myself as had been thinking about Freehold Street, where the family had lived before! ::) They moved to Folly Road/Park Road in about 1895 a few months after my gr grandmother was born.

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 February 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
There are articles in the Whitley Seaside Chronicle & Visitors' Gazette about this.  This was a weekly newspaper.  One in the edition dated November 3 1900, is quite long and detailed and is entitled:

'Disastrous Floods
Exciting Scenes'

This article records the mayhem this natural disaster seems to have caused in all parts of the region - not just Blyth.  I would recommend contacting the North Shields local studies in the library to obtain a copy of this article.  It makes for a most interesting read.

Part of this very long article records that several deaths were reported and  ... 'People had to be rescued by means of ladders and boats, while at Blyth (Northumberland) a man was able to swim in the main thoroughfare.' ...I

A previous edition dated October 27, 1900 has an article about the floods at Morpeth and the transference of families to the Isolation hospital.

There is an article re floods in Tynemouth area in edition November 3 1901.

Perhaps you might like to contact the North Shields library, local studies department to enquire if they could send you photocopies as this is where the paper is kept on microfilm.  The first article I have mentioned is long and gives a lot of detail about the impact of the floods all around this local area.

There is also an article specifically about the floods in the Blyth area in the Shields Daily News dated October 27 1900.  Another edition - October 29 1900 records that the last of the flood at Blyth abated during the night.  However, it also records that a rescuer who was a cartman was subsequently been found drowned at Newsham in Blyth and also that the damage is incalculable and that many families were imprisoned due to  the floods.

This paper is also on microfilm at the library.   You may also perhaps be able to view this on British Newspaper Archive.

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 February 18 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi River Tyne Lass,

Many thanks for that, very much appreciated indeed.

I will definitely look to get copies of the articles that you mention.

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)