Author Topic: Blyth Flood 1900 - Information Sought!  (Read 7357 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth Flood 1900 - Information Sought!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 00:44 GMT (UK) »
I have no problem with you linking to them. I am very glad that people get to see the pictures, that is the whole point of them being put there. Enjoy.

One of the problems with the lay of the land at Blyth is that the town centre is more or less at the high water mark and there is a 'hump' of land between the centre and the river, so it is possible to have dry land between the river and the centre whilst the centre is flooded!

In 1900 there was heavy continuous rain and sleet for 18 hours beforehand which swelled the river, there was an unusually high tide and also storm surge. Hence Blyth as had happen before and since 1900 (it also happened 17 December 1921) was inundated.

A huge flood defense scheme was erected about 1976 / 77. I think most all of the streams and culverts along the river were given one way sluice gates so water cannot backup into the town, there are also two huge pump houses which shift enormous amounts of water back into the river as and when required, one can be seen by the gas storage tank in the heart of the town, and the other one is up by the site of the Golden Fleece. Someone a little while ago asked about photographs of the scheme when it was being built, since a lot of the town centre and roads were dug up at the time. No pictures have come to light yet.

P

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 00:53 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to mention that the 1900 flooding was the first time the 'new' Blyth steam powered fire engine was used to pump water out of shops and cellars.

Also if you get opportunity to look, there are pictures of the flooding on page 16 of the Images of England, Blyth vol 2 book.  ISBN 0 7524 3349 0

I did a quick search "Blyth Flood" at the British Newspaper Archive and a number of items turned up besides the 1900 event.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Bridge Street got flooded 28 June 2012, so at times it is still an ongoing problem.

Film footage of the flooding can be found on Y*oTube

P

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 March 14 00:27 GMT (UK) »
I recall as a lad when we lived on Princess Louise Road in the sixties opposite the bus garage (now the flats) we seemed to regularly get flooded; and not with the nicest of water  :( :( !
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 March 14 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phodgetts & Fremund,

Many thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

Phodgetts, many thanks for all the info, will also take a look at the book that you mention & am relieved that there is no problem linking to your flicker photos, very much enjoyed looking at them. The few photos of Blyth Railway Station in particular as I had never seen the station! My first recollections are from when Prestos Supermarket was on the site, if i've got it right! ;D

Fremund, I know Princess Louise Road fairly well as my gt grandmother lived there for a time & also a lady that I always knew as just an aunty but was just an old family friend rather then family who lived next door to my gt grandmother. I can't ever remember it flooding myself but then not living in Blyth and only visiting reasonably regularly over the last forty years may have something to do with that! ;D

My apologies for the delay in responding, been a little busy over the last few days.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 January 18 17:12 GMT (UK) »
For your interest DavidJP, my latest acquisition of the 1900 flood featuring Folly Road, Blyth. Enjoy.

P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51893012@N05/39190222614/in/album-72157641931957224/

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 January 18 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phodgetts,

Many thanks indeed for that, very much appreciated.

Fantastic photo, incredibly clear too. Is that looking towards Bridge Street or would Bridge Street be behind the photographer?

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Interesting photos Phodgetts (as usual).
I think I've heard about this flood before, and I wonder whether it would have been fresh water, or salt water from the sea?
If salt, it could have been more corrosive.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phodgetts,

Many thanks indeed for that, very much appreciated.

Fantastic photo, incredibly clear too. Is that looking towards Bridge Street or would Bridge Street be behind the photographer?

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David

Folly Road is now called Park Road, and the view is looking south. This is the view on modern mapping today;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.1231709,-1.5030742,3a,89.6y,340.67h,83.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUrCqHMsV2DH9mw5X-2RZnA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en