Author Topic: HELP REQUIRED....Slavin Family in Australia and a Broad  (Read 8615 times)

Offline AussieWal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HELP REQUIRED....Slavin Family in Australia and a Broad
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 01 March 14 09:23 GMT (UK) »
  There was another Frank Slavin born Maitland NSW in 1862, for what it's worth - http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/67682765

1862 would make my Francis Slavin 13 years old at his wedding... I can rule this one out... thanks
Stein Slavin England Huthnance Godsell Lough

Offline AussieWal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 01 March 14 09:26 GMT (UK) »
NSW BDM death
22359 / 1927  SLAVEN James                                                   Youmg
parents Edward / Bridget

15698 / 1928   COURTNEY Susan                                              Newtown
parents Edward / Bridget

1401 / 1876  SLAVEN  Susan  m. COURTNEY Bernard                  Young

Wellington Times 23 Apr 1925
The death took place at the residence of Mrs England, Neurea, of a very old and well-known resident of the district in the person of Mrs .Betsy Slavin, at the age of 74 years. The deceased lady, who had been ailing for the past 12 months, had resided 'in this district for a great number of years, during which time she made many friends, who will be sorry to hear of her demise. She is survived by a grown up family of three sons and- two daughters, the former being Messrs John and  Arthur (Neurea), and Edward (Sydney). The daughters are Mesdames C. Rutter (Forbes), and McAndrew (Wellington.) The remains were encased in a polished maple casket, silver mounted, and laid to rest in the Church of England portion of the local cemetery this after noon, the Rev. Mr. Carr leading the services at the graveside. Mr. C. J. Shakespeare had charge of the funeral arrangements

This Elizabeth (Betsy) was my great grand mother....  the other Slavens above Betsy Obit are not known to me...

Offline AussieWal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 01 March 14 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Also only one SLAVIN birth in Victoria in the period 1830-1870
Patt SLAVIN - FATHER Peter B - MOTHER Anne CARROLL - 1843 REF # 34428.

Neil

Thanks for looking... I had the same result.... frustrating...

Offline AussieWal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 01 March 14 09:30 GMT (UK) »
There are four SLAV*N baptisms on the Victorian birth index to 1850 but none with father Edward.

Another baptism in NSW

V18412366 61/1841    
SLAVAN Elizabeth
Father Edward  Mother Bridget         

The next baptism to this couple is in 1847 so if we have the correct parents, Francis was possibly born between those years and his baptism, if any, has not been transcribed to the NSW Registry.

Sydney Morning Herald  24 Jun 1848 and  Sydney Chronicle 1 Jul 1848

NOTICE – I hereby caution the public not to give to any person whatsoever trust or credit on my account, as in no instance will I be answerable for any debt contracted, unless such as I myself shall be party to.
EDWARD SLAVEN  Gullen near Goulburn   Jun 1st

Edward's bankruptcy and other problems in the 1860's
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0y6o/

Problems with livestock being stolen
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0y6n/

Cando

Confidence in the correct parents is not strong... but good find with that early baptism ...thanks

Offline AussieWal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 01 March 14 09:33 GMT (UK) »
"and I assume that their parents had hushed it up due to him being in an Asylum."

Not a lot to hush up by the way, An ASYLUM is an old word use for HOSPITAL. Or NURSING HOME as opposed to "Insane ASYLUM"

Rookwood Asylum became Lidcombe Hospital.

Neil

The hushing up is my guess as I cant find proof in the local newspaper regarding death in 1906 and the fact that the recently deceased local identities knew of Francis existence but nothing about him.  For these people to not have known something was very unusual for this small community as they knew "everything" LOL

Offline AussieWal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 01 March 14 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

In the Victorian Government Gazette, 24th February 1888, an Insolvency Notice for Edward Slavin, grazier of Fairbanks near Woodside in Victoria.  A meeting was set down at the Insolvency Court Office in Sale for 7th March 1888.

Gerry

I had seen this before but had not had the resources or time to follow up.  If it was the correct family, I would imagine this Edward would /Could ? be a brother of my Francis due to the timeline.

Offline AussieWal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 01 March 14 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Goulburn Evening Penny Post 18 Mar 1886....."Bridget Slaven"...

Long story...account of John COVES accused of arson...... described as son-in-law of Bridget, his wife dead for some years........he is in court for damage to property of Edward SLAVEN......

NSW  Deceased Estate
SLAVEN Bridget              Gullen   20 / 3/ 1891         5 / 5 /1891
(19 / 10187) (20 / 27A) 3025

This looking interesting, if nothing else for an interesting story.... the thread of Gullen is reocurring theme in the paperwork but no proof yet of my family connection.... but there is hope... I am still breathing ... LOL
SLAVEN Edward        Bannisters Creek       1886  Z08790 (20 / 7010)

SLAVEN Edward        Fish River  10 / 10 / 1894     15 / 11 / 1894
(19 / 10191) ( 20 / 70A)  3025

Goulburn Herald 26 Jun 1886
On the 18th ........at Bannisters Creek, near Grabben Gullen......Edward SLADEN  age 86....native of

10264 / 1886  SLAVEN Edward father John  86yrs       Hartley    District Lithgow

Offline AussieWal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 01 March 14 09:41 GMT (UK) »
There is an Edward SL*V*N b1809 convict arrived on the MANGLES 1828 and Bridget SL*V*N born c1819 Ireland.  Bridg*t mentioned in the Gaol Description and Entrance Books for Goulburn Gaol and NSW Police Gazette 1869 for theft.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0y6p/

So many variations on the surname, SLEVIN, SLIVEN, SLAVEN etc.

Cando

FRom what I can determine ... this Edward Slaven...convict is the same Slaven from Gullen.... I think

Offline AussieWal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 01 March 14 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
  Just a thought:

Recorded on TROVE is an article dated 20 September 1876 in which Mrs Slaven of Gullen has taken in some neglected children.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/107179915?searchTerm=selina%20slaven&searchLimits=

I wonder if Frank was  a foster child such as these children?

Leanne

It is a possibility... especially if the acquired Francis took the Slavin/slaven name and created his own personal history... anything possible.   My Francis would have had to been a very early  for this family to pick up and look after because he was married 1875 at about 28 years old... but it is possible scenario...