Author Topic: OWEN and GRIFFITHS families NEWTOWN  (Read 11690 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: OWEN and GRIFFITHS families NEWTOWN
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 February 14 08:58 GMT (UK) »
gadget....   think both places are needed for each side of the family......

this research will have to be deadly accurate though  given what I was seeing of the surnames of both .........

:)

I really am not sure what you mean - it sounds as if you are trying to tell me how to research  ::) ::)

Of course both sides are needed and I think that my research in Wales with Jones/Roberts/etc. (including Owen(s) and Griffith(s) )  answers the second point -as WR Jones and others will confirm.

The 1871 census includes those mentioned in the 1881 census which the OP has mentioned in their first post.

Most of my own research has been in Wales, where I grew up, and includes a main line in Montgomeryshire so I have done a considerable amount of research there.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline epd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 February 14 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all this information. Very helpful. Am sure the 1856 marriage and 1871 census references are correct.

It will be Penstrowed. T he spelling I had was from a 1911 census by which time my g grandparents had moved to Gresford in North Wales. Am sure also that one of his sisters moved to North Wales also as they had a nephew living with them in 1911  Ernest Cartwright.

My grandfather Richard Edward Owen was born in Kerry Newtown c 1896. I think (but am not sure) that the name of Charles's farm was Kerry farm.

epd

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 February 14 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I've got some old parish records and miscellaneous info about Montgomeryshire parishes/families  on my other computer - I'll see if there's more info there  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 February 14 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Not much so far in my records.

Found this:

Probate ( Administration if no will) John Beaumont: - 30 Aug 1872. Shrewsbury Probate Registry

Administration of the effects of John Beaumont late of Cefnhir in the Parish of Penstrowed in the county of Montgomery. Farmer a Bachelor who died 29 June 1871 at Newtown .. was granted at Shrewsbury to Charles Owen the Nephew and one of the persons entitled in Distribution.  Effects under £300.

Resworn  Shrewsbury Sept 1872 - under £450.

The 1891-1901 suggests that Charles came upon hard times after his wife died and ended up a carter/farm labourer   :(

Gadget 

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 February 14 18:26 GMT (UK) »
gadget....   think both places are needed for each side of the family......

this research will have to be deadly accurate though  given what I was seeing of the surnames of both .........

:)

Well I think both Gadget and I have some knowledge of the area.We are also used to looking for similar Surnames.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 February 14 01:49 GMT (UK) »
i wasn't trying to suggest how to research in any form possible.............       I was merely commenting both places were needed........... anyways :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 February 14 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi again epd

Did you get the info about them from their marriage cert - and when/where did they marry? 

I've got the son's baptism in Kerry in 1894 and the family 1901 onwards but somehow, I can't locate the marriage - I'm wondering if Margaret had been previously married  :-\

The reason that I ask is that I think WR's 1871 find is the most likely for Margaret but butcher/ostler  ???

There is a Margaret Griffiths given as born in Caersws in c 1866 in the 1871 Census.She is given as the daughter of a John and Jane Griffiths.Father John though is given as a Butcher.
RG10/5613/35/8.

Regards
William Russell Jones.

Gadget

Offline epd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 February 14 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes,

the information came from their marriage certificate. I don't have a copy with me at the moment but they married in Glamorganshire. Richard was a miner and presumably left to work in the south wales pits but they had obviously moved back to Newtown by 1894 as my grandfather was born in Kerry. The witnesses on the marriage certificate were John and Jane Griffiths but the 1871 census entry doesn't quite match up age and occupation wise.

Haven't been able to track Charles down yet in the 1841 or 1851 census but John Beaumont could have been a brother of Charle's mother.

Thanks again.

epd :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 February 14 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes,

the information came from their marriage certificate. I don't have a copy with me at the moment but they married in Glamorganshire. Richard was a miner and presumably left to work in the south wales pits but they had obviously moved back to Newtown by 1894 as my grandfather was born in Kerry. The witnesses on the marriage certificate were John and Jane Griffiths but the 1871 census entry doesn't quite match up age and occupation wise.

Haven't been able to track Charles down yet in the 1841 or 1851 census but John Beaumont could have been a brother of Charle's mother.

epd :)

I think that I have - he's with John Beaumont and brother Thomas as Cenhir - as a Male Servant (M.S), aged 13,  in 1841 and, I think, a nephew in 1851. The 1841 index has the Beaumont's surname wrong.

I'll put them up for you when I've transcribed them.

I'll have a look at the Glamorgan marriage - if it was a Church one.

Gadget