Author Topic: Goodman-Jones family  (Read 4772 times)

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Goodman-Jones family
« on: Thursday 27 February 14 21:01 GMT (UK) »
After no success in previous posts, I'm now looking at my research from a different angle.

The marriage record of one of my ancestor's in Liverpool has a 'Sarah Goodman Jones' as a witness - and as the 'Goodman Jones's came from the Ruthin area and several were shoemakers, likewise my Jones ancestors, and that both families were neighbours in Liverpool/Birkenhead/Chester censuses - I think it's likely they were related in some way. I've outlined below what I've found out so far:

There is a likely Sarah G. Jones (b.ca.1840 Corwen) the daughter of John (b.ca.1800) & Susannah Edwards (b.1804 Corwen, d/o Goodman Edwards). Her brother was a Simon Goodman Jones(b.1851 Corwen), sawyer who was living in Birkenhead 1891 at the same time as my family. I think that their father, John (b.ca.1800), was born in Llangollen. There also appears a Goodman Jones b.1759 Llangollen.

A further possibility for Sarah is the d/o Thomas Jones & Mary b.1820 Chester, as her brother was a 'John Goodman Jones'.

Also, there is a Godfrey Goodman Jones b.1814 Corwen, living in Chester in 1851 (at which time my family were there too). He was the son of Richard Jones, woodman/sawyer (1769-1846) and Catherine. They also had the following children: Hannah, Catherine, Simon, Goodman Humphrey and Amelia - so possibly related.

There was also a similarly named Godfrey Goodman Jones b.1769 Ruthin, whose brothers were John Jones, corviser (i.e.shoemaker), William Jones, shoemaker, and Thomas Jones, chemist (the last 2 both died in 1828 Ruthin).

Finally, in 1830, John Jones, corviser (will proved 1783 Ruthin) married Hannah Goodman, and they had several children: Thomas (b.1735 Llanelidan), Richard b.1731 (a shoemaker whose son was Rev.Robert Goodman Jones), John b.1733, Robert b.1738 and Henry b.1739 - quite a number of their descendants were 'Goodman Jones's - so this is possibly where the family began. There were quite a few Goodmans in Ruthin and I'm sure others married Joneses too but this family is particularly interesting because they were also shoemakers, and some descendants moved to Corwen.

The man I'm trying to find is a Thomas Jones, shoemaker b.1776 Corwen, d.1854 Chester. There is an exact baptism for this: to Thomas & Margaret Jones - but the names of the other children (John, Jane & Evan) aren't familiar - his children were: John, Edward, Elizabeth, Thomas, Owen, Margaret. One of many alternatives is the 1776/1780 baptism in Llanrhydd to Elizabeth & Thomas Jones, shoemaker (his military record gives birthplace as Ruthin).

I apologise for posting what seems to be the same thing again and again, but I'm hoping looking at it from this angel will yield more success!!!

I'd really appreciate any help as I feel like I'm going round in circles with this family.

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Goodman-Jones family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 February 14 21:12 GMT (UK) »

Offline kt4u

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Goodman-Jones family
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 February 15 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am sorry I can't help with your Thomas Jones research but... I do believe that he is an ancestor of mine. I have Rev Richard Jones in Ruthin, one of his sons Owen moved to Norfolk and had a successful career as a chemist - seems to run in the family.  Katy