Author Topic: Dyble Family of Bury St. Edmunds Search Advice  (Read 4701 times)

Offline dyblega

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dyble Family of Bury St. Edmunds Search Advice
« on: Friday 28 February 14 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I have traced my family history back to my GGG Grandfather John Dyble (born around 1812 cannot not verify) died in 1870 in Bury St. Edmunds.  He is buried in the St. Edmunds cemetery (along with his son).  The earliest record I have found for him was his marriage to Mary Dyble on 4 July 1832.

My question is I have not been able to find out for certain where he was born or who his parents were.  I have contacted the Suffolk Record Office, the Suffolk Family History Society (who have looked up local Parish records), the GRO, Ancestry.com.  Does anyone have any ideas on what is the next best step to take.  Any advice or help would be appreciated!

-Graham

Online Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dyble Family of Bury St. Edmunds Search Advice
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 February 14 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

I don't know anything about your ancestor, but the name Dyble strikes me as a possible candidate for misspelling.  Have you tried Dibble, Dibole etc?
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 February 14 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham,

Welcome to Rootschat from me also.

You may already have this info. but will post incase its new.

He married Mary Howe 4-7-1832 Bury St.Edmunds (Mary or Mary Ann bapt. 23-10-1814 Hartest, Suffolk d/o James & Mary.)   (Mary died Mar 1874 Thetford Regis. Dist. ex an Anc...y tree)

He was a Bootmaker and when he died 20-7-1870 BSE his will and effects (under £450.) were left to his wife Mary Dyble, widow the Relict the sole Executrix.

The 1851 & 61 census records indicate he was born in about 1812/14 in Bury St.Edmunds.

On Anc...y there is a public tree showing the family and John being the s/o Robert Dyble and Isabella Houghton - Robert dying 1818 Bury St.Mary, Suffolk - No souces listed so cannot be confirmed.

The IGI (FamilySearch.org) have some of his children's baptisms and list them in St.James, Bury St.Edmunds.
I'm not familiar with the churches in Bury but it seems reliable he came from Bury St.Edmunds.

Hope this helps in some way.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline dyblega

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 March 14 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

I don't know anything about your ancestor, but the name Dyble strikes me as a possible candidate for misspelling.  Have you tried Dibble, Dibole etc?

Thank you for the reply.  No.  I know at some point it changed to Dyble, but I assumed it was much earlier.  I will give Dibble a search for this timeframe.  Thank you.  Was this common to be born with one version of a name and change it to another version during someone's life?

Offline dyblega

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 March 14 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham,

Welcome to Rootschat from me also.

You may already have this info. but will post incase its new.

He married Mary Howe 4-7-1832 Bury St.Edmunds (Mary or Mary Ann bapt. 23-10-1814 Hartest, Suffolk d/o James & Mary.)   (Mary died Mar 1874 Thetford Regis. Dist. ex an Anc...y tree)

He was a Bootmaker and when he died 20-7-1870 BSE his will and effects (under £450.) were left to his wife Mary Dyble, widow the Relict the sole Executrix.

The 1851 & 61 census records indicate he was born in about 1812/14 in Bury St.Edmunds.

On Anc...y there is a public tree showing the family and John being the s/o Robert Dyble and Isabella Houghton - Robert dying 1818 Bury St.Mary, Suffolk - No souces listed so cannot be confirmed.

The IGI (FamilySearch.org) have some of his children's baptisms and list them in St.James, Bury St.Edmunds.
I'm not familiar with the churches in Bury but it seems reliable he came from Bury St.Edmunds.

Hope this helps in some way.

Alan

Thank you Alan.  I appreciate you taking the time to come up with all that information for me!

I was not aware of Mary's death in 1874.  This is new information to me.

I wonder if the public tree you found with Robert Dyble and Isabella Houghton as the parents of John Dyble is mine? ;D   A nice woman at SFHS provided me with a lot of information from the St. Mary's and St. James Parish records.  These were possibilities as his parents, but there was no actual documentation to prove it.  I had put the info. into my tree hoping to come up with more hints so I could verify the information, but I haven't found any evidence to verify them as his parents.

I will give familysearch.org a try to see if there are any records I have not seen before. 

Thank you again for the response. 

I appreciate both of the responses offering help.

Online Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 March 14 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dyblega,

It was not so much changing the name, as the illiteracy (even among the clergy!) causing strange spellings to get recorded.  Famously I spent years looking for a Wernham ancestor of mine who had been recorded as Whornam (you can practically hear the accent).
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline dyblega

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 March 14 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dyblega,

It was not so much changing the name, as the illiteracy (even among the clergy!) causing strange spellings to get recorded.  Famously I spent years looking for a Wernham ancestor of mine who had been recorded as Whornam (you can practically hear the accent).

Thank you.  I will widen my search to include all similar spellings of Dyble.  Thank you very much for your help!

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 March 14 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham,
"I wonder if the public tree you found with Robert Dyble and Isabella Houghton as the parents of John Dyble is mine? ;D "

Looking again at Anc...y I believe the tree I was looking at was yours "dyble18". In fact,  I see you may have two trees "Graham Dyble family tree" both of which show Mary Ann's death in 1874 in Thetford regis. dist.

I couldn't find any reference to "Dyble" + variants on the IGI in Suffolk and  I don't think the C.o E. parish records are available on Family Search. So that may be a draw back.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline dyblega

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham,
"I wonder if the public tree you found with Robert Dyble and Isabella Houghton as the parents of John Dyble is mine? ;D "

Looking again at Anc...y I believe the tree I was looking at was yours "dyble18". In fact,  I see you may have two trees "Graham Dyble family tree" both of which show Mary Ann's death in 1874 in Thetford regis. dist.

I couldn't find any reference to "Dyble" + variants on the IGI in Suffolk and  I don't think the C.o E. parish records are available on Family Search. So that may be a draw back.

Alan

Alan,

Yes that is me.  I added Mary's date of death that you provided to see if that would lead to any other hints.  I hope with time one of the descendants of John Dyble's other children get interested in their ancestry and find my tree. 

I am going to try all variations of the name dyble and see where that leads me.  Hopefully with a little luck something turns up.