Author Topic: Greave, Yorkshire?  (Read 7203 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Greave, Yorkshire?
« on: Friday 28 February 14 07:02 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage at All Hallows, Almondbury (not indexed at an**ry, can be found bottom left, image 3, 1723)
6 Feb 1723/24
Edwardus Hoyle and Eleena Goddard de Greave

Any ideas as to where Greave would be?

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greave, Yorkshire?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 February 14 07:55 GMT (UK) »
If you search on the Old Maps website a possible is a village called Greave over the border into Lancashire to the east of Bacup. On modern maps it appears to be absorbed in Bacup  http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

Kay

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 February 14 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Kay.  You may be right, but I can't help but think that the record would have said Greave, Lancashire, rather than just Greave - some 30 miles away and in the next county.

I'll take a look at Lancashire records to see if I can find a possible baptism, nothing crops up in West Yorkshire.

Thanks for a new line of investigation,

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 February 14 15:59 GMT (UK) »
"GREAVE a hamlet in the chapelry of Nether Thong and parish of Almondbury, West Riding county York, 4 miles S of Huddersfield"

Stu
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 February 14 16:26 GMT (UK) »
This mentions Greave as part of Netherthong & has a map:
http://historyofnetherthong.co.uk/?p=147

States Upper Greave was renamed St Mary's [now St Mary's Court] & Lower Greave still exists & consists of half a dozen houses.

If this is your family & you would like any pictures of the area pm me your email address - I live a mile or two away.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 February 14 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Stu and Josey.  I've already looked at Almondbury, Holmfirth and Kirkburton records.  Nothing for Edward Hoyle either, so the lines probably end with the marriage.

Margaret

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 March 14 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Does the "de Greave" in fact suggest where she lived? Could it be part of her surname or an indication of her family's status?
The husband seems to be just plain "Hoyle"- no addition to indicate his village.
Does de Greave sounds a bit upper class?
Or conversely, Greaves as a surname is a local name dating back very many centuries. My own Greaves were ordinary folk.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 March 14 19:40 GMT (UK) »
You may be on to something there. My latin is pretty rusty; I think I assumed that because Edward's name appeared 'latinised' as Edwardus that the 'de' meant 'from' but it's French of course. Looking at my pocket dictionary Latin for 'from' is 'ab' or 'a' or 'e' or 'ex'.

Could it be that Edward may not have anything after his name as he came from the area of the church?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 March 14 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Bykerlads and Josie

It did cross my mind that Greave could have been part of her surname, rather than where she was from.  I hadn't made the connection that 'de' meaning 'of' was French rather than Latin.

However, looking at the original image, most of the records seem to include 'de' -
Not knowledgable about the area, but some examples -
de Lockwood
de Hoowood in Austonly
de Ridgwood
de Armitage

So, I think that it does refer to the place rather than the surname

Margaret