Author Topic: Greave, Yorkshire?  (Read 7204 times)

Offline Holnbridger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greave, Yorkshire?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 15 March 14 09:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid that was a rapid brain-dump of a good few months work, mostly quite a lot of years ago so it probably wasn't as well organised as it might have been.  It will probably be easier for you to work through it yourself.

I suggest you look for the earliest mention of a William Goddard in Almondbury parish register & then work through all the Goddard references up until the end of the C17th.  I used the transcripts published by the YAS (Yorkshire Archaeological Society).  I think Ancestry has the same material but that will lack the additional detail provided by the introductory notes of the YAS volumes, e.g. there was a gap of a few years during the Civil War as the vicar wasn't replaced when he died.  I'm also not sure how Ancestry deals with baptisms in the chapels so you might not have quite as much information as I had from the YAS.

It's mentioned elsewhere in this thread that there were two William "Goddart"s in "Holmfirth" in the hearth tax.  In that context "Holmfirth" would mean the townships of Upperthong, Austonley, Holme, Cartworth, Wooldale, Hepworth and Fulstone.  This was an administrative area, a graveship, in the manor of Wakefield (a grave was an official, nothing to do with burials).  The chapelry of Holmfirth was the same set of townships except for Fulstone which presumably was close enough to Kirkburton  that its inhabitants would be expected to attend church there.  The first 3 townships were in Almondbury parish, the remainder Kirkburton.  As regards the hearth tax, this would be consistent with the William Goddards being in Upperthong.

I'll add that at a manorial court held on 19 Apr 1665 William Goddard junior was a sworn man for Upperthong.

See what you can make of the data from the PRs & those few items from non-ecclesiastical sources & how they connect with the people named in the will transcript & I'll drop by here in a few days so we can compare notes.  I think you'll be able to extend your line back from Ellen Goddard by a few generations.

Offline NevilleM

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greave, Yorkshire?
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 14 January 18 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hoowood in Austonley was where many of my Tinker relatives lived and farmed.
A few stones still exists but the dwellings are mostly UNDER the resevoir which was built and flooded the location. If you park in the car park at the bottom of the hill before the resevoir and walk along the footpath you will note the wall quality is quite high after a while and there are some large gate stones leading nowhere.