Author Topic: Greave, Yorkshire?  (Read 7169 times)

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greave, Yorkshire?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 March 14 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes it does look as if the "de" denoted which village a person came from.The "de Hoowood in Austonley" can only be a reference to a place. It would have been because Almondbury church served as mother church to a large area, as did Kirkburton.
The "de" is indeed French in origin whereas Edwardus is latinised with the "us" ending. This was not uncommon in early church records.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 March 14 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Bykerlads
The reason I picked those places out in particular was because I could find something similar in records or on current day maps.

Hoowood, Austonley appears throughout censuses, though I can find no sign of it on current day maps.  Several families give this as their address.

National Archives refers to
'John Armitage to Thomas Wilkinson.
Relate to conveyance of a house called Howood in Austonley (p. Almondbury) to Thomas Wilkinson.
Includes receipts, accounts and solicitors bills.'

http://genforum.genealogy.com/armitage/messages/944.html
An Armitage researcher gives the following information -
Comment:The hamlet of Howood has been demolished but was here:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=410562&Y=407222&A=Y&Z=115

Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 March 14 15:06 GMT (UK) »
I am no latin scholar but I have been told that the latin in parish registers etc is often "pidgin" latin but the word "de" has certainly been used in latin documents since medieval times.

This is a good site for latin words https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Latin_Genealogical_Word_List

I looked on the 1672 Hearth tax list for Hoyles and Goddards. There were Hoyles in Almondbury in 1672 but no Goddards. However there were Goddards in Holmfirth at that time.

Stu
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 March 14 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I have ancestors from Austonley but haven't come across Howood before. Will have a look for it.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 March 14 16:31 GMT (UK) »
If you go to these digitised & georeferenced maps
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/
put Huddersfield in the gazetteer search field, choose 'England & Wales' then 'OS One Inch 1892 - 1908 Outline' from the drop down boxes, you can see a few houses at the point on Margaret's street map reference; the great thing is that you have a sliding scale to bring in as much as you want of a satellite image overlay and see exactly what was flooded for Digley reservoir.

Josey

ADDED: West Yorkshire Archives have a single reference to Howood - a bond of Obligation from 1688
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0y9y/
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 March 14 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Stu, Edward and Ellin/Elena Hoyle settled in Kirkburton/Holmfirth area, perhaps Edward's home town.  Apart from this marriage, there is no known connection to Almondbury as such.  The hearth tax list records may relate to my family, but as I said before, I have got no further back than this marriage in February 1723/24.  There was a Ralph Goddard, married 1668 and having children in Kirkburton, but no connection found - is this the one you found in the hearth tax returns?

Bykerlads, if you look at the link to streetmaps, or even Google maps, you will find 'Howood Lane', just NW of Digley reservoir.  On streetmaps it is given as a track.  No signs of any houses in the area.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 March 14 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I've just located Hoowood Lane overlooking the reservoirs and also on the 1840/44 Cassini map which has what looks like Hoowood Hall and Hoowood Mill.
My Austonely families lived nearer towards Holmfirth, farming the land by Mellor Lane.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 March 14 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Josey, Thanks so much for that link, I've never seen it before.  I used to use Old Maps, but this has become unusable as a reference tool in later years.  This is fantastic - worth starting the topic for!!

Margaret

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 March 14 17:49 GMT (UK) »
This is fantastic - worth starting the topic for!!
When the National Library of Scotland put these maps online in January - I did post the news in The Common Room - it's at
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=673460.msg5185127#msg5185127
but I'm not sure how many people read it! I did neglect to mention about the georeferencing & satellite image superimposition though. Most Scottish maps have been digitised at 6 in and 25 in to the mile; shame the English ones are limited to the 6 in to the mile apart from th eLondon ones at 1:1056. There is a choice of several OS series for Scotland as well so you can follow an area through time.

I'm surprised the British Museum [where I understand the archived English OS maps are held] have not done this for all the UK's OS maps. The Map Library in Edinburgh has always been  very pro-active in digitisation.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON