Author Topic: Hurley  (Read 1876 times)

Offline kevmac90

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hurley
« on: Friday 28 February 14 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if anyone has Hurley's in Ballymacshoneen or nearby. My g-grandfather was Daniel Hurley, born to Daniel Hurley/Ellen Sullivan in about 1874.  He had an older brother, Michael, who went to Galveston, TX and sisters who went to Cambridge MA. I believe the entire family emigrated to the United States shortly after the elder Daniel died in 1897, but I don't know that for certain.

The family may also have relatives in Ballymacraheen. 

I know there was a Daniel Hurley (cousin to my Daniel Hurley above) who married a Kate Donovan and lived in Ballymacshoneen in 1901 and 1911.  Not sure how this family is related - but they definitely were.  My g-grandfather's 1/2 brothers apparently lived with this family until they emigrated to the US in 1907.

Any help appreciated!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hurley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 February 14 17:43 GMT (UK) »
A bit of a nightmare on Irish Genealogy i couldnt believe how common the two names are.
Marriage in Timoleague ,Barryroe 30 Jan 1869 Daniel Hurly to Ellen Sullivan
some? of their children
Margaret 22 Jan 1870 ,Timoleague
Michael 1 May 1872 ,Timoleague
Daniel 1 June 1874
Mary 1 June 1877,Ballymcshoneen
Ellen 25 Sep 1879,Timoleague

Offline kevmac90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 February 14 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I had a few of those birth dates - but not all - especially the one for Daniel, who is my g-grandfather.  He used a date of 15 Feb 1877 on his Naturalization records - so maybe I dismissed the 1874 date.  I don't recall.

Daniel had 2 other sisters born in 1882 (nora) and 1882 (Catherine).  Assume the records stop at 1880?

As you can see - Daniel Hurley is an extremely common name - with as many as 4 or 5 Daniels running around Ballymacshoneen...  I found a newspaper article showing a Daniel Hurley that died 24 Mar 1897 - around the time that several of the children headed to the States.  I believe this is my g-g-grandfather - is there any way to find out for sure?

Daniel Hurley married twice - Ellen Sullivan and Margaret Calnan.  I think he only had 2 boys with the second marriage - John and Frank.  Both boys ended up in Cambridge MA and Frank was killed overseas in WW1.

Again - I appreciate the help.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 February 14 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately the Daniel that died in 1897 is not registered on the death index but he did make a will and left it to his namesake Daniel Hurley of Ballymacshoneen.These are only indexes of wills and i think the originals were destroyed in the Custom House fire.
There is also a will index for a Margaret Hurley widow 16 Dec 1898 late of Garryndring and formerly of Ballymacshoneen  to Patrick Mahony of Garryndring.
There is no way of telling relationships between any of them.

Offline kevmac90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 February 14 22:48 GMT (UK) »
This will you found - is there a way to get a copy of it?  If yes, I may have to order a copy.

I will have to look into this Margaret Hurley as well.  She must be related somehow?

It doesn't appear that any Hurley's stayed behind in Ireland.  The newspaper article I found indicates the Hurley Farm was being sold at auction - by the executor of Daniel's will (also Daniel Hurley) I presume Daniel (the executor of the will) is the cousin who I know lived in Ballymacshoneen with his wife Kate Donovan and family.  This Hurley family mostly stayed in Ireland - maybe movingto the Shenagh area.  The info I have is from Cahalane's that are still in the area - but who have cousins in Boston.  The Cahalane's have bits and pieces of info on the Hurley's - some fact...some not so much fact. 

Again - thanks for the help.  The will may shed some light??

Offline kevmac90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 February 14 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Uggh - guess I missed the part about will being destroyed...

Offline teresacrowley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 October 17 23:56 GMT (UK) »
I was told my mother's grandmother was Hurley from Travarra, the townland being Ballymacshoneen. She would have married an O'Sullivan from Shanagh, whom later hopped to a nearby relatives homestead in Ballinluig. I cannot confirm any of this as I don't have birth and death certs etc, but I think I may be able to direct you to someone who can.

Offline kevmac90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 October 17 13:19 GMT (UK) »
There is a good chance we are related then. My email is kevmac90 at MSN.com. I will check my tree later today to see what I might have.