Author Topic: Postman in the 1911 census Dundalk.  (Read 5907 times)

Offline Brosie

• RootsChat Member
  • it's the roots that make the branches sparkle.
    • View Profile
Postman in the 1911 census Dundalk.
« on: Saturday 01 March 14 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Would there be any post office records for postal workers in or around 1911.?
                                                                                                              regards Brosie.

BOYD. BRODIE. CLOSS. Morrison. Kennedy. ROBERTSON. AYRSHIRE.  GEORGE. PATTON. STEWART. ALEXANDER. CARSON. HALL. BOYD. NORTHERN IRELAND. KIE BLACKSTOCK WIGTOWNSHIRE.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Postman in the 1911 census Dundalk.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 March 14 09:54 GMT (UK) »
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1933

Ireland was under British rule at that time, so worth a try

Offline Brosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 March 14 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks conahy, the record is there just need to upgrade my ancestry.
                                                                                                      Kindest regards.
                                                                                                                              Brosie.
BOYD. BRODIE. CLOSS. Morrison. Kennedy. ROBERTSON. AYRSHIRE.  GEORGE. PATTON. STEWART. ALEXANDER. CARSON. HALL. BOYD. NORTHERN IRELAND. KIE BLACKSTOCK WIGTOWNSHIRE.

Offline McShane1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 March 14 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brosie,

I am very curious about your post, forgive the pun.

My grandad's brother John McShane was a postman in Dundalk in 1911.  In March 1915 he volunteered for duty with the British Army along with other post office workers in Dundalk to fight in the First World War, and most of them were killed. 

There was an article about John and the other postmen volunteering and the big send off to the war in the Dundalk Herald, and Hall wrote about them in his book, "The Unreturned Army".  Mr. P Cleggett was the Postmaster in 1915.  Other Dundalk post office workers who went to war included B Carolan, J Matthews, J Callaghan, J Green, and J McEvoy. They fought with the London Regiment, the Post Office Rifles. John McShane was killed just before Christmas 1915, very sad. Were any of the names above your relative?

I have an old photograph which I have scanned of the postmen and post boys (31 of them) and post office women (4) in Dundalk together with a donkey and two bicycles, which dates before 1915, but I don't know who is who, and I have often wondered if all the names above are in the photograph.  I think John is at the back sans the moustache and he looks younger than in 1915. 

Regards R.
McShane, Craven, Shoulder, Carroll, Divan or Devine, McGuinness, O'Hagan, Campbell, O'Rourke, Kelly, Carragher, O'Hanlon, Ward, Reynolds, McCourt, McEvoy, Lennon

Offline Brosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 March 14 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for my late reply. Fortunately Joseph Stewart survives the war(Royal Artillery) I am deciphering his war record, The 1911 census has him living in Broughten street with his Scot's wife and two kids occupation postman, his trade on his army record was plumber. Sad story of yours about the postmen who didn't return home. Joseph was originally from the Holywood area County Down.
          regards Brosie. 

Offline Stiubhard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Brosie. Long time no hear.  How is your research coming along? Would love to catch up.  Just read your post about my great granda Joseph Marshall Stewart....remember he was in the Royal Army Medical Corps during WWI...he had been in the Royal Artillery for his service as a regular but transferred to the RAMC when he was in the Reserve.  Ironic that his 12 years in the Reserves ended just as the war broke out in 1914! 

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 January 18 10:12 GMT (UK) »
There are about 60 Stewarts listed in the 1911 Census living in Dundalk.

Maybe there is a connection here.......?
My tree informs that a John Stewart (1853-1914) m. Flora Watt (1856-1930) probably in Comber, Co. Down.
Their son William Stewart (1877-1944) m. Martha McFerran (1878-1971) and he was a Sorting Clerk (1901) and an Overseer (1911) at the Dundalk Post Office. Am sure he would have known those who did not return.
O'Neill, Balmer, Dick, Lockhart, Jeffers, Morton, Ringland.
South Armagh, South Down, North Louth

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 January 18 10:55 GMT (UK) »