Author Topic: COMMONS [CUMMINGS]  (Read 7857 times)

Offline denby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMMONS [CUMMINGS]
« on: Sunday 02 March 14 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Am new to Irish family research.  Am searching for a marriage of a William Commons/Cummings to an Anastasia Goff (possibly also Gough) in County Wexford in the 1770s or early 1780s.  Their son William married in Sydney (Cape Breton), Nova Scotia about 1804.  Any help in locating this couple and their line back in Ireland would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Denby

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: COMMONS [CUMMINGS]
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 March 14 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Denby,
Its very hard to find information for those dates in Ireland, even knowing Wexford is not a great help you really need a Townland or Parish. Very few parish registers include those dates, most start somewhat later, but some do include late 1700's.
I have 'Cummins' in my tree, not too far off the name and William was a very commonly used family name by that Family. They were from Ballymurn, Co Wexford but that does not mean anything and even though I know the area I have only been able to get to a possible birth 1776 from a gravestone.
 I think you will find Cummins a common name in the south of the County Wexford too. As for Goff/Gough I have not come across that name in the area at all.
Sorry but with that information I think its unlikely that you will trace them.
M
Roche Wexford/USA
Sinnott 2 families Ardcavan Wexford/USA and Boolaboy.
Cullen Ballyknockan  Wexford/ USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline denby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 March 14 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  Your knowledge is greatly appreciated. 

Sincerely, Denby

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 08:56 GMT (UK) »
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/

This link is for a pay site but has free information on distribution of surnames in Ireland at the time of Griffiths Valuation - mid 1800s.  Shows  Gough, McGough and Goff were all in Co. Wexford at that time.    :)

Offline denby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the update on the Goff (Gough, McGough) family.  At least I know it was the correct county.

Denby

Offline surfcoastwombat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hello

I don't know if this will help - I am looking for information on Denis and Mary Cummins nee Kehoe both born ca 1800.  I have found a Denis Cummins born 1795 died 1853.  Whether or not he is the guy I am looking for, I don't know but he is buried in grave 1 row 24 in Adamstown Cemetery in Wexford - see attachment.  Also buried in that plot is his mother Anastasia born 1774 died 1847.

JC
John Cummings
Anglesea, Australia

Offline denby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 10:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks, JC.

Am not sure if it is related to the couple I'm seeking but will hang on to the information just the same, just in case it is.  Thanks for sharing it and have a great day.

Dennis

Offline Marie-France Lapierre

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Here's what I found. William Cummings  was born in 1753. He 's from County Wexford, Ireland. He married Anastasia Goff born in 1760.   They immigrated to Canada. Concerning them that's all I have and I would be very glad to learn more about them and their parents amd so on. Their son also called William was born in 1779 in Sydney Nova Scotia, got married with Sophie Payne/Penn/Paine born in 1776 who first got married to Michel Gould. So William married  Sophie, a widow, in1804. They moved to Havre-Aubert (Îles-de-la-Madeleine) an island located in the Atlantic Ocean closed to Nova Scotia in Canada. William died in 1840.
My grandmother's name on my mother's side was Angelique Cummings.  She was living in Natashquan, in the lower North Coast   in the province of Québec. I hope this is what you were looking for. 
Marie-France

Offline Sue Lapointe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 September 15 05:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie-France, wish to know your information source for the dates and names. Looking for same family. Thanks.