Author Topic: Looking for my Grandad Frank Horton of Edge Hill  (Read 16619 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for my Grandad
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look and Rob has a tree on there it looks like his Frank was born and grew up in Staffordshire not Liverpool. Rob has his birth in Birmingham though.

Blue

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look and Rob has a tree on there it looks like his Frank was born in Birmingham and grew up in Staffordshire not Liverpool.

Blue

Yes Rob's tree has the wrong birth date and place of birth. He perhaps hasn't modified it.
As I said, it looks a bit complicated but there seems to be quite a lot of supporting evidence.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes Frank Jones father of Robert Henry is actually Frank Horton.

Blue

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes Frank Jones father of Robert Henry is actually Frank Horton.

Blue

???  I think I only saw Jones on one record- there are lots with Horton and on another tree with photos.
As Rob says in his first post, he has received conflicting and confusing information.
It would have helped to give a little more of what he already had perhaps, but if he is not convinced re Frank in Walsall, maybe he was hoping we would turn up a different Frank  :)
Hopefully, he will add to this.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Rob's tree appears to be under username 1_rob207 and is called Jemima/Matilda/Tallulah Family Tree.

Blue

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have seen that.

It seems odd that Frank gives such different occupation information on that marriage to Elizabeth MArdle  :-\

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Frank was born in 1891 I wonder what his birth certificate has for father's name and occupation? It does seem strange that there are records for Frank that have his father as both William Horton (Locksmith) and Walter Horton (Labourer). Here is Frank's birth index:-

Name: Frank Horton
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1891
Registration district: Walsall
Inferred County: Staffordshire
Volume: 6b
Page: 707

Blue

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've been on Ancestry for 18 months to two years and findmypast too, trying to find my grandfather.

His name was Frank Horton.

That's as simple as it gets! I have conflicting records about him.

According to relatives he was born in Liverpool. On his first marriage certificate his father was named as Walter. At this time he was living in 26, William Street, Widnes with his wife to be Elizabeth McArdle.

He then had a Catholic ceremony of the same wedding but had his fathers name as Walteri - a latinisation I assume.

He moved away from Liverpool at some point around WWII and remarried in 1939, but had his fathers name as William at this ceremony.

He died in 1949, but his age on the death cert was put at 51, making him born in 1898, which may have been a mistake, maybe it was meant to read 57 and not 51?.

So I'm really confused and can't find any census or military records that will clear this up.

Apparently he had a brother called Isaac (Ike), his mum may have been Mary or Mary-Anne?

I really hope someone can help, I'm at my wits end.

Looking at the information on those trees, maybe the question is, is it the same Frank Horton in both marriages/ relationships?
There are children from both relationships. If these were raised as half siblings then all would seem to be ok.
Let's hope rob knows  ;)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 10:59 GMT (UK) »
The address 23 Harbord Street Edgehill Liverpool appears on the 1919 RC marriage record for Frank Horton and is the address where one of the Jones children was born on 25 Mar 1927 (Arthur William Jones died in Singapore on 9 Dec 1926). So this would connect the Frank Horton who married Elizabeth McArdle with the Frank Horton who married Edith Ethel Jones formerly Claydon.

Blue