Author Topic: POOLE family of Ipswich  (Read 3608 times)

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: POOLE family of Ipswich
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 March 18 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Is Fred Poole still a matter of interest to you?   Ive just seen this, and Fred was my grandfather. I have researched the family for years and can tell you more if interested.
Geoffrey Poole

Hi Geoffrey, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Fred is most certainly still a matter of interest and would love to hear from you on this and the rest of the Poole line. I am not sure if we are talking about the same Fred, but if it is not, it is almost certainly some other relation.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Regards,

Duncan

Offline Geoffrey Poole

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 March 18 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Duncan, good to hear from you.
My Fred Poole was born 1873 (to Walter Wm Poole 1836-1914, and brother to Albert and Rose), and died 1957.
Fred married Rosa at Xmas 1897, they had Amy Milicent 1901-2002! a Baptist missionary, between two boys who died in infancy.  Rosa became insane and, after attempting to knife Amy in 1911, was committed to an asylum, d. 1964.   
Fred formed an attachment to a woman Ethel Celia Lines who worked at the asylum, and although they could not divorce and marry, a child was born in August 1919, Reginald Clifford Poole, my father.  They (rightly) appear as married in the 1939 census, but no cert. has come to light.
My grandparents were lovely gentle people, living in Rands Way, until Ethel died in 1952 and Fred moved to us in Chingford.  Reg had married Betty Podd (who is still alive, at 96) in 1947, I (Geoffrey Richard Poole) was born in Ips '49 and my brother Christopher Laurence P in Chingford in '51.
A big puzzle is Walter William's father, William Poole (1815-70) not to be confused with fellow Ipswich shoemaker William Poole (1807-1840).   They are surely cousins or half brothers.  I think the Rattlesden Pools are the only likely source, but who and when I cant make out.
I wonder whats your connection?  Great pleasure to be able to share findings with you,
regards, Geoff

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 March 18 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

It is great to hear back from you. I knew that Fred's wife ended up in an asylum but was unable to find out what happened to the family after that point.

I don't have most of the dates on hand so will get those to you when I can look them up in my notes, but I can tell you that I am descendent from Bertha Rosetta (1901-1976), the daughter of Albert Walter Poole and his wife Julia Elizabeth nče Welham. She married Harry Arguile of Barwell in Leicestershire. We are not certain how they met, but we believe it may have been at university in London. If I remember correctly it was three days after their marriage that they set sail for South Africa. They disembarked in Port Elizabeth by being lowered off the boat in a basket and then travelled to the Clarkebury Wesleyan Methodist Mission Station. They spent some time there before moving to Wynberg in Cape Town where Harry took up a position as a Latin and English teacher at  Wynberg Boys' High School. They remained in Cape Town before retiring to East London in the eastern half of the Cape Province where he continued his role as a lay preacher.

Harry and Bertha had three children, Harry (Always went by his second name Michael), John and Elizabeth (Beth). John is my maternal grandfather. He lives near us in Somerset West in the Western Cape Province.

My grandfather and his siblings joined their parents a couple of times on trips to England and I have a number of photos of their trips to Ipswich to see Poole relatives. I will scan them so that I can send them to you as I recall that my grandfather cannot identify everyone in the photos so there may be more distant relatives in those photos.

I will direct message you my email address so that you can email me so that I can send you the photos. I have not at this point had any contact with any of the Poole family and have hit quite a few brick walls, William Poole stumping me as much as you.

Do you know where Amy did her missionary work?

Regards,

Duncan

Offline AliMary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am the granddaughter of Julia Mary Poole who married Albert Taylor and lived in Wrabness.  She had a daughter Patricia Mary Taylor who was my mother.  Bertha, Allan, Ida, Amy and Albert were her siblings and my great Aunts and Uncles. I think Amy was a missionary in India. Ida married Richard (Dick) Clayton.  Albert married Minnie. Neither couple had any children.  I hope this helps. Are you a relative?

Offline AliMary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I have realised Amy although my great aunt she wasn't a sibling if my grandmother.
Sorry for any confusion. Alison