Author Topic: WATTERS/QUIGLEY  (Read 11707 times)

Offline arickett1943

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WATTERS/QUIGLEY
« on: Wednesday 05 March 14 13:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm attempting to trace my grandmother Bridget Watters - who was born in Dundalk circa 1879-1880.  Her father was John Watters.  I know nothing else about her family.  She arrived in Birkenhead, England approx. 1900 where she worked in a restaurant/hotel as a kitchen maid before marrying William Kavanagh in 1904.  Her father was deceased at that time and I am unable to trace any more family as there are so many Bridget/John Watters in Dundalk at that time.  Any help would be great.  Angela

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: WATTERS/QUIGLEY
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 15:46 GMT (UK) »
1901 has her as Waters.  There are 2 Bridget Waters entries in Liscard/Birkenhead and both were b Ireland and both are servants.  One was b 1875 and the other 1879

Could one of these be your Bridgets birth reg?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBQN-66Y

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FB7D-QY8

This is also from FS and has some additional info including her full birthdate.  I doubt her mother was b 1865 if Bridget was b 1879

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/334B-DJC

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline arickett1943

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 16:49 GMT (UK) »
The Birkenhead entry for Bridget would be the correct one - can't tell from your link which it is  1879 or 1880?  The Anne Morgan entry is incorrect - I was given the wrong information and have since deleted that person from my tree on FS site so not sure why it has come up.  Angela

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Your tree shows her as born 3.3.1879 so she would presumably be the link to the 1879 birth not the 1880 one

You can purchase a copy of her birth cert from GRONI which should give her mothers name and maiden name
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 18:24 GMT (UK) »
I think from Family Search births 1620 to 1881 that Bridget Watters 1879 is the daughter of Thomas Watters and Margaret Grant going by volume and page numbers ,the only Bridgets on there with father John are early 1870s.

Offline arickett1943

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 March 14 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Carole - isn't GRONI just for N.Ireland?  Also Bridget's d.o.b on the 1901 census shows that she was 22 (meaning born in 1879) - in the 1911 census it states she is 33 and born 1878 - on her Death Certificate it shows about 1879.  So hence the confusion.  Her father's name was John Watters and he is shown as a Carter/Journeyman (not sure what that was) and he was deceased by the time of her marriage in 1904.

Offline arickett1943

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 March 14 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Also the reason I put QUIGLEY in the heading as well is because we used to get a visit from a Paddy Quigley who lived in Dundalk when I was a child in Birkenhead.  This was after my Gran had died in 1947 and I visited him in 1968 in Dundalk.  unfortunately I didn't get any facts from him during the very brief visit as he whisked me off to a 'cousins' wedding in Carrickmacross.  I feel there was some family connection between the Quigleys and the Watters - hence the visit but not sure what it was.  I'm nearly 71 and most of the immediate family have died and so no-one to check with.  Any help with the Quigley's would be good.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 March 14 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Any help with the Quigley's would be good.

All you have is Paddy Quigley which unfortunately is not enough to provide a basis for a biological connection.

Was he "uncle" or just Paddy?  If he was just Paddy it suggests he may have been a family friend rather than a relative.  Who was he married to?  How old was he?   There are a number of Quigley's in Dundalk on the Irish 1911 census but anything after that date you would have to research via the BMD index

I think for the time being it would be better to concentrate on the Watters side and see whether the surname Quigley comes up in that research

Offline arickett1943

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 March 14 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Paddy was always referred to as 'Uncle' Paddy and when I visited him in 1968 I was 22 and he was an older man (I would think in his 60's or 70's) and I remember him referring to the bride at the wedding as being one of my cousins - so that was why I felt he might have been connected to my Gran - maybe he was the son of a sister of hers - which is why I trying to find if she had any siblings.  It was very unusual for the turn of the century for people to have only 1 child.