Author Topic: WATTERS/QUIGLEY  (Read 11706 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WATTERS/QUIGLEY
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 March 14 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Searching John Watters deaths between 1880 and 1900 for Dundalk yields only one
John Watters
July Sep 1882 age 55 born circa 1827
Dundalk vol 2 page 549.

There is also a marriage in Dundalk 1872 between Terrence Watters and Catherine Quigley wheter this is connected or not dont know but keep it on the back burner for now.

Offline arickett1943

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 March 14 12:55 GMT (UK) »
The death is a possibility - it would have been just after Bridget was born but the marriage I'm not sure about as it would have to have been a male Quigley marrying a female Watters and then they would have had a son Patrick/Padraig??  I know the address where Paddy lived in Dundalk is there a way I can trace his background from that info?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 March 14 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Throw the address out here someone might recognise it,

Offline arickett1943

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 March 14 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Paddy Quigley lived at 13 St. Gerard's Square, Dundalk - he was there in 1968 when I visited and possibly for many years before and after.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 March 14 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Have you ever thought of writing to the present occupant of the address they might be a descendant or could tell you when he ceased occupancy.

Offline arickett1943

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 March 14 10:30 GMT (UK) »
No I hadn't thought of doing that - I think he was a bachelor and he would have died at east 50 years ago but it is worth trying I guess.  I have just thought that maybe the Catherine Quigley you mentioned earlier might have a brother and he could be the son of that person and if Catherine's husband Thomas had a brother John Watters maybe that's how they were connected - I'll try searching their names that way and see if I find anything.  Thanks for the suggestion re writing.  Angela

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 March 14 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Or St Gerards Senior Citizens
St Gerards Hall
St Alaphonsis Road
Dundalk, care of Marie Begley.

Offline arickett1943

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 March 14 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that address - sounds like a great plan - Dundalk is a small town and it should give me a good starting point. 

Offline arickett1943

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 May 14 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that address - sounds like a great plan - Dundalk is a small town and it should give me a good starting point.
Well, success - in fact I did write and about a week ago still hadn't heard so thought I'd write again and hadn't mailed it when I got an email from a lady who had finally received my original letter as it was passed around Dundalk.  She is the youngest daughter of my 'Uncle' Paddy's sister AND coincidentally a few days before this I got a 'message' from a Dundalk page on FB that I had asked the question re the 2 families some time last year.  A man wrote that his grandmother was Paddy's cousin and was able to give me Paddy's parents name, date of marriage and the children's birth dates as well.  Thomas Quigley married a Mary-Anne Watters - so my belief is that Mary-Anne was the daughter of one of Bridget's brothers?  They are both going to get back to me with as much information as they can but they are both from the Quigley side.  There is a lot of intermarriage between the 2 families in Dundalk - loads of them.!