Author Topic: Blackmore/Redman/Painter  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Helen Blackmore-Lee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Blackmore/Redman/Painter
« on: Thursday 06 March 14 05:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm new to this and already having trouble locating information on my fathers family. Mainly living in Bosham, West Sussex. The Painters I am looking for apparently worked for the Cheesmans as housekeeper and gardener in the early 1900's. The Blackmore side of things were in connection to the Lockyers of Westbourne. Any information on the Redmans would be good too. I do remember my great, great uncle George who was the blacksmith at the forge in Walton Lane. He was my great grandma's brother.

I now live in Australia and it's difficult to get this info on a low budget!

Look forward to any information you can give me.

Thanks,

Helen Blackmore-Lee

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blackmore/Redman/Painter
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 March 14 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

Without specific names and dates, this is going to be difficult?

For example, in the 1901 census, there are 68 Painters living in Sussex! None living in Bosham.
In the same census there are 362 Redmans in Sussex; 33 of them in Westbourne.
In the same census, there are 132 Blackmores - 10 of them in Westbourne.

John (1843) and Mary (1848), with son John (1882).
George (1852) and Sarah (1849), with children George (1880), Ralph (1882), Claude (1884), Winifred (1885) and Augustus (1889).

What surname was George, and in what town was Wood Lane?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Art1942

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 September 14 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi.
     Have searched Marriages for Westbourne from 1550-1901 & these are the only Redmans that appear in the Marriages.

28-04-1807.
                              Stephen Redman.
                              Ann Savage.
               Witness:   James Redman.
               Witness:   John Woolridge.

12-08-1838.
                        George Redman. Mariner.
                         Mary Redman.   Dressmaker.
Witness: Grooms Father. George Redman, Bricklayer.
Witness: Brides Father.  Joseph Redman, Bricklayer.
Witness: William Poate.
Witness: Sarah Poate.

There are a couple of Painters also from Westbourne.

12-12-1665
                         John Paynter
                         Ann Dike.

07-06-1720.
                        Robert Painter.
No Name given:             Oliver. The Widow.

If you would like the Baptisms for any of the Redmans, I also have those for 1550-1892.

Regards
Art.

Walder, West Sussex.  Doidge, Devon. Palmer, Gosport. Bennet, Gosport. Daniels, Surrey.  Willcox, Worc.  Cheeseman, Shere.

Offline Redman1946

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

I can't help with Painter, but I am researching the Redman family as my husband is a Redman on his mother's side. The family tree is quite extensive, but I will give you a brief outline of the relevant part and you may be able to identify which George Redman was your great great grandfather.

My husband's great great grandfather, Stephen Redman (1811-1866) married Louisa Duck (1811-1875). He was a blacksmith in Bosham Village, West Sussex. One of his sons Edwin (1845- ), my husband's great grandfather, eventually moved to St Marylebone, London where he worked as a Farrier. Another son, Albert E (1849-1938), married his cousin Charlotte Redman (1855-1947) and worked in her father's (his uncle's) smithy in Fishbourne.

Another son, George (1840-1909) worked at the smithy at Laurel Cottage, Walton Lane, Bosham, where this branch of the Redman family lived for over 100 years.

Great Uncle George was married to Emily, and their eldest son was George H (B 1868).

Both generations of Georges had several sisters, so if you can let me know your great great aunt's first name I may be able to find her in the family tree.

If you are a descendant of one of the Redmans then you will be related to my husband.

As I said, this is only a brief outline but I hope it it helps. 

Best Regards.

Offline Redman1946

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 September 14 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just a correction to my previous information.  Great Uncle Albert E Redman, who married Charlotte Redman, actually worked for another smith in Shipley, West Sussex in 1871 before moving to Fishbourne. His uncle Daniel had a smithy in Aldingbourne. There seemed to have been quite a widespread Redman Blacksmith dynasty at that time!

I'm still researching.  Art mentioned baptisms for Redmans from 1550-1892. These would be very useful. His note that James Redman was a witness at Stephen Redman and Ann Savage's wedding, makes me wonder if James was Stephen's father. He would then be my husband's 4th great grandfather, and another ancestor of yours.

Regards.

Lyn

Offline sjcornish

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 August 15 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen, my name is Sarah! I was before marriage a Redman-Hide.  My grandmother lived at Laurel Cottage she was a Redman, then she married my grandfather Charlie, who was a Hide.  When my father married my mother he joined the two together to give Redman-Hide.  My Auntie, who lives in the states, is more than willing to pass any details about Bosham on to you as she was born in Laurel Cottage.  This is an email she sent me when I relayed to her that I had seen your interest on this site.   

'My mother’s sister Minnie married a Painter.  My Uncle George Redman was the smithy in Bosham as was his son also, George Redman did not marry, but my cousin John, his brother, did.  Minnie had a daughter Joyce Painter who married a Blackmore, and had a son Barry Blackmore, Joyce died young of breast cancer.  Elsie Redman (my mother) and Charlie Hide (my father) were married in Bosham church about late 20s, I was born in 32 three years later.'

As far as I am aware my grandmother Elsie, had 12 siblings.  My Auntie is happy to for you to contact her by email, but I don't want to put her email up publically.  If you could let me have your email I could pass it on to you. 

Yours Sarah (Cornish)

Offline Tony Grant

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 February 19 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi My Name is Tony Grant.  I live in Toronto Canada. I left England in 1957.  The last place I lived before I left was at the forge on Walton lane with George and Mag Redman.  My mother was Beatrice Mary Blackmore. I remember George the son who didn't get married.  Does any one know if Barry Blackmore is still living,