Author Topic: Rashiehill Farm, Fintry/Kippen  (Read 6108 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Rashiehill Farm, Fintry/Kippen
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 October 14 10:26 BST (UK) »
The place to find all this out is to look the farm up in the Valuation Rolls. These were published annually by the local authorities as the basis on which rates (local taxes) were levied. They list, for each habitable house, the names of the proprietor, tenant and occupier.

For example House2000's people might be occupiers of a house tenanted by Patrick McGill and owned by Ross's Dairies.

There are almost certainly copies in the Stirling or Falkirk archives, and possibly in public libraries in that area as well. There are definitely copies in the National Library of Scotland and I think in the National Archives of Scotland.

None of which is terribly handy if you don't happen to be in central Scotland. You might need to find someone (professional searcher or kind soul) who would be willing to look them up for you. Be aware that this will involve ordering and waiting for a large book for each year, leafing through the book to find Rashiehill (properties are listed by parish, and not in alphabetical order within parishes) and noting the relevant surnames, then doing the same with the next year and so on.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline HOUSE2000

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 October 14 11:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian for your reply suggesting looking at Valuation Rolls. As you say, visiting libraries to check the records may help but as I live in Shetland perhaps some kind soul can help me! I had a look on SP at 1915 and 1920 Valuation Rolls but unfortunately so far I haven't been able to find my Grandparents. Thanks again.
McAdam - Dunbartonshire/Kilmaronock - Scotland
Colquhoun - Dunbartonshire - Luss/Cardross. Tayvallich
Hambley - Scotland and Cornwall
Giles - Lochgelly, Fife & Lanarkshire
Mathieson - Scotland
Deazeley - Scotland & Ireland
Yates - Lanarkshire
Gordon - Lanarkshire & Ireland
Whyte/White - Fife & Lanarkshire
McLaren - Perthshire & Dunbartonshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 October 14 12:13 BST (UK) »
I had a look on SP at 1915 and 1920 Valuation Rolls but unfortunately so far I haven't been able to find my Grandparents.

No, it sounds as if they were there later than 1920, so you'd need to go for later ones. Maybe some day you might make it south as far as Edinburgh, if you can tear yourself away from home.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline HOUSE2000

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 11 October 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately SP only have Valuation Rolls up to 1920 at the moment so even if I did find them it would have been before they moved to Rashiehill. Yes I hope to visit the National Archives eventually. Some day I might solve the mystery!
McAdam - Dunbartonshire/Kilmaronock - Scotland
Colquhoun - Dunbartonshire - Luss/Cardross. Tayvallich
Hambley - Scotland and Cornwall
Giles - Lochgelly, Fife & Lanarkshire
Mathieson - Scotland
Deazeley - Scotland & Ireland
Yates - Lanarkshire
Gordon - Lanarkshire & Ireland
Whyte/White - Fife & Lanarkshire
McLaren - Perthshire & Dunbartonshire