Author Topic: William Higgins born (Oughan?) Westport 1808  (Read 3123 times)

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
  • I want to know MORE…Genealogy is an Addiction!
    • View Profile
William Higgins born (Oughan?) Westport 1808
« on: Sunday 09 March 14 08:29 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find any information on William Higgins, a fencible to Onehunga, New Zealand in 1849, ex Army.  Born around 1808, married Margaret Compton/Crampton in 1837, Athlone. Arrived Onehunga NZ 1849 on Oriental Queen. Roman Catholic.
Driscoll's of Castlehaven and Baltimore, Cork/London/USA.  O'Neill/Neale. Higgins of Westport, Aughaval,  Ireland. Atkinson of Lurgen, Portodown, Ryan and Tynan of Holycross, Tipperary.  O'Rourke of Clonmel. Hollingsworth of Southwark/St Bottolph's, East London.

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Higgins born (Oughan?) Westport 1808
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 March 14 09:48 GMT (UK) »
If you Google Janes geneology pages and search Higgins there is a bit on there about this family mainly their children Take Care Lynette
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
  • I want to know MORE…Genealogy is an Addiction!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 March 14 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks for your response.
I have got the family from their arrival in NZ, but I cannot seem to find out any information about their Irish side of the family other than Williams father was Richard, a taylor.  Margaret's father was Henry, a carpenter.  I would like to know more about any other siblings and the family history in Westport.
I was shown info on another infamous Higgins - a Charles Fitzpatrick Higgins who eloped with the daughter of an English Baronet.  I wonder if the Higgins families are connected?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Driscoll's of Castlehaven and Baltimore, Cork/London/USA.  O'Neill/Neale. Higgins of Westport, Aughaval,  Ireland. Atkinson of Lurgen, Portodown, Ryan and Tynan of Holycross, Tipperary.  O'Rourke of Clonmel. Hollingsworth of Southwark/St Bottolph's, East London.

Offline oldwestport

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 March 14 19:08 GMT (UK) »
The 'Oughan?' you mention is most likely Oughaval, which is the name of the parish in which Westport town lies. There were a lot of Higgins families in Westport, most of whom would have been related to each other somehow. If you send me your email address I will try to help you a bit more, although it's difficult to find much from the early 1800s.

James