Author Topic: Bridget Rabbitt 1823-1908  (Read 3003 times)

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridget Rabbitt 1823-1908
« on: Sunday 09 March 14 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Bridget Rabbitt was born in Co. Tyrone and I am almost certain she was born Bridget McSorley b. 1823 in Mullaghmore, Omagh, sister of Patrick McSorley. She spent over 40years of her life in the USA where I believe she married (hence the married name Rabbitt) and returned to Omagh around 1893 after her husband died. She is included in the 1901 Census Records living in a house belonging to her nephew James McSorley. James also registered her death in Omagh on 15th February 1908. Her obituary notice in the local press said she was 90years old, but her gravestone states 85years old.

I don't know where she lived in the US nor do I known the name of her husband but obviously, if anyone can shed any light on this lady it would be much appreciated. We recently found her grave and she is buried with my wifes great-grandparents.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Rabbitt 1823-1908
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 March 14 05:49 GMT (UK) »
The "Furnessia" embarked a 67 year old Bridget Rabbitt at Londonderry arriving at New York on 1 May 1895.  She was bound for New York, likewise the next entry down, a 30 year old Mary McSorley.

Then a Bridget Rabbitt arrives back in Londonderry on 20 August 1895 on board the "State of California".  Next entry down on the same voyage, a Mary McSorley.

A bit young for your Bridgett, but might be her going back to visit / sort something out?

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 March 14 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Gaffy, I am aware of these journeys and although the ages may not be spot on the fact that she was travelling with Mary McSorley is promising. Mary McSorley was her neice but I have visited the McSorley grave and Mary was born 1849. Thanks for your efforts.

There is also a journey undertaken by a 'Biddy' McSorley b.1818 arriving in New York from Newry in 1846 which is also very promising.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure she didn't marry before she left for the US?

If you're mainly looking for information about her time in the US, perhaps this thread should be moved to the US board?

Offline LifeinLondon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, wondering if this Patrick McSorley is the head of house at no 9 gortmerron, bantry,tyrone in 1911?

His son James McSorley Married Ursula Anne Daly (daughter of Dennis and catherine) and had three children, although can only find Mary and Catherine, and my mum (Mary's granddaughter) remembers there being three. Anyway was just wondering if they were the same. Think Ursula may have become known as Anne, and my mum has really lovely things to say about her great grandfather James.
They were, I am told wealthy for Catholics, considering, with lots of land. The McSorleys (from islay and kintyre) came to Ulster from Scotland before the Scottish plantation and were respected by Irish for their fighting abilities. They already spoke Gaelic and were catholic so thrived when moving to Ireland.

Mary married Patrick McGahan, and Catherine married and kept the farm, the third sister (maybe Eileen) died during childbirth. Mary McGahan (daughter of Mary McSorley) was amazing, and lived in the area all her life. Two sisters remained locally and two moved to Canada.

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 August 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
Patrick was born 1813 and married Mary (unknown maiden name). They had a son , also Patrick born 1849 and he didn't marry. These McSorleys were also quite wealthy but I see nothing to link them with the information you posted.However, I appreciate your response.

Offline Broomstick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 September 17 23:53 BST (UK) »
James McSorley is son of Peter McSorley & Ellen McDonnell.

James and Ursula Daly had 8 children including twins but only 3 survived to adulthood; Mary (Mrs Patrick McGahan), Catherine (Mrs Michael Donnelly) and Ellen (Mrs James McKee).

There is a probable relation, James McSorley (born mid-1840s: son of Patrick McSorley & Mary Donnelly) who emigrated to Manhattan.

My greatgrandmother was Catherine McSorley.
I am curious to find out more about the McSorleys of Gortmerron and Terryglassog, Co Tyrone.

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 September 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
Don't think there is a connection. James McSorley, son of Patrick married Anne Nugent.

Offline joe janet

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 September 19 08:44 BST (UK) »
hiya my mother was Catherine McSorley to her maiden name born and raised in gortmerron