Author Topic: Crooks of Huddersfield  (Read 6456 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crooks of Huddersfield
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 June 14 22:02 BST (UK) »
I would absolutely love to see the photo you have, presumably of Ben jnr?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Philip Crook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 June 14 22:05 BST (UK) »
Welcome hto Rootschat, Phil :)

You have two generations conflated there.

Benjamin Crook senior born c1764, died 24 Nov 1834 married twice.

First in 1786 (Elland) to Betty Cheetham. 6 children baptised 1786-1796. Betty died as Elizabeth in Oct 1799.

Second in 1801 to Hannah Beaumont. 6 children 1802-1817.  Hannah died 5 Dec 1829.

Benjamin Crook junior born 17 Dec 1808 (3rd child of 2nd marriage), died 11 June 1883

He married twice.

First 4 Jan 1832 to Martha Beaumont.   She died 17 Jan 1833.

Second 21 Mar 1836 to Priscilla Styring.  7 known children. She died 5 July 1872.

I am descended from Ben & Priscilla's 4th child George Henry Crook (1842-1901).  How about you?

Offline Philip Crook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 June 14 22:17 BST (UK) »
Yes, I got my Beaumont Christian names confused.My great grandfather was Benjamin Junior's son Charles, two years old in the 1841 census, who became a chemist in Mirfield Yorkshire. His son, Percy was an engineer in Manchester, where I was born to his son Leslie.
Thanks for the 1764? Birthdate for Benjamin Senior. I have suspected that he came from Leeds to Huddersfield but have never been able to prove this. Thanks for telling me of his first wife.Do you know his origins and if Leeds was his birthplace?.
Mitre sports say in their website that Benjamin Crook founded a tannery  in 1817 but there are no Trade Directories to my knowledge before 1841 which refer to such a business. Any information you have as to this early tannery would be gratefully received.
Regards,
Phil

Offline Philip Crook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 June 14 22:20 BST (UK) »
As I only joined RootsChat tonight I don't yet know how to send a photo through the site but if you e.mail me I
will forward it to you.
Regards,

Phil

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 June 14 22:31 BST (UK) »
We are 3rd cousins once removed  :) I have sent an email.

You'll need to remove your email address from this thread (this rule is to prevent spamming etc).  You can upload photos via the "Attachments and other options" link which appears underneath the text box when you are drafting a reply.  Information of a personal nature such as email addresses can be exchanged in private messages by clicking a username or the green scroll underneath it in the left margin.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 28 June 14 11:49 BST (UK) »
Mitre sports say in their website that Benjamin Crook founded a tannery  in 1817 but there are no Trade Directories to my knowledge before 1841 which refer to such a business. Any information you have as to this early tannery would be gratefully received.
Pigot's directories for 1829 & 1834 have a Benjamin Crookes of Cowcliffe, cloth dresser.

Stu
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline stuartroyclarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 April 16 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hello all, Stuart Roy Clarke here Mr @homesoffootball ...F.A.'s photographer etc etc

I am celebrating Mitre Sports 200th anniversary next year by making a book and music album (with British Sea Power) where we touch on the Crook legacy in Huddersfield in 1817.

If anyone can locate where Benjamin's Tannery was situated, I would like to know!!
Or anything else connected.

Stuart

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 April 16 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Stuart and welcome

Your project for Mitre's 200 year anniversary sounds fascinating - are you able to tell us a bit more about it?  Several members of our branch of the Crook family still have a great deal of knowledge about the firm's history within the family.

Best wishes

Anna

Offline stuartroyclarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 April 16 17:58 BST (UK) »
Anna
Can't say too much. Track 1 however on the album is a slight fantasy based on the Crook invention, the tanning factory, the football, Huddersfield.

We would love to know of any info about this time in Huddersfield, before Birkby, before the birth of photography.

To be honest we are not after historical detail including loads of family names/relations... more what inspired Benjamin to to what he did - quite an invention.

Stuart