Author Topic: Foote/Nugent marriage 1838  (Read 3058 times)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Foote/Nugent marriage 1838
« on: Tuesday 11 March 14 23:36 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a marriage between an Andrew Foote, a british soldier and an Armagh girl Ursula Nugent around 1838 Armagh.  From a 2nd marriage I know that Ursula's father was a James Nugent, Stone cutter.  I have an 1819 Armagh Business directory which has a James Nugent as a Stone Cutter on Abbey St., Armagh.

Have found the birth of a child Margaret Foote in Armagh in 1838 in the Army Births & Baptisms records.  Any ideas where I could look for this marriage.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Foote/Nugent marriage 1838
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 07:55 GMT (UK) »
The marriage is before the start of statutory marriage registration in Ireland. You will need to rely on church records. Ideally you need to know which denomination the marriage was. If you think they lived in the city of Armagh, you could work your way through the RC, Church of Ireland and perhaps the Presbyterian records to see if the marriage is there. Suspect Church of Ireland may the most likely in this particular case, though could be RC if Andrew was RC or converted. Ursula seems likely to have been RC to me.

Some of the records are on-line on Rootsireland but there appears to be a gap in the Church of Ireland marriages between 1822 – 1845 which is exactly the period you need. PRONI in Belfast appear to have a copy of the records for those missing years, so you may need to check there.
Elwyn

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 March 14 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Elwyn - will need to make a visit to Belfast at some stage.

Regards

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Jufoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 18 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray, I have found some new information about Robert and Andrew, if you are still following this, cheers Julia

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 January 18 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Oh Wow! Julia, what a great find.  Yes was still looking and have recently had another member of the family contact me regarding this information. Thanks so much.

Also welcome to rootschat, the best (in my opinion!) family history resource/assist on the net.

Ray

Offline Jufoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 18 09:40 GMT (UK) »
I've found the link between Robert and Andrew, the sons of John & Jean :)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 January 18 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Would love to see that link Julia.  Have not put Andrews parents on my tree because I could see no definitive proof.

Ray