Author Topic: Where is this photo? Gilwern/Crickhowell/Govilon??  (Read 6647 times)

Offline Lynne Barnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Where is this photo? Gilwern/Crickhowell/Govilon??
« on: Friday 14 March 14 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm new to this forum and I know I'm going to spend hours and hours looking through all the messages!
When my grandmother died, I inherited a lot of photos from her.  I've been working hard at tracing my family tree but on my maternal side it stops with her parents as his name was John Evans and I can't get beyond that as the name is so common and I don't have a marriage certificate to help go back further.  Anyway, the attached is one of the photos in which the gamekeeper in the middle was her grandfather.  I'd be interested if anyone may be able to identify the location of the photo and maybe even tell me who the 'gentlemen' are.
My grandmother lived in Govilon and Gilwern all her life and I would think that this manor house would be around there, possibly Crickhowell/Glangrwney (excuse spelling!).

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this photo? Gilwern/Crickhowell/Govilon??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 March 14 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Searching for gamekeepers in Crickhowell district in the 1891 and 1901 censuses(can't quote 1911) gives the following:-

George Barnes  "Pendre"
Thomas Richards "Primrose Cottage" - this looks to be near LLangattock Court

Cornelius Pearce  "Cwrt y Gollen"

Trying to find images of the above doesn't give any clear resolution.There is vague similarity to Llangattock Court possibly.

Perhaps a marriage check for the above family names and Evans might reveal something,thoiugh the photograph could easily be later than the censuses quoted above.

Regards
Roger

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 March 14 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Lynne Barnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 September 15 15:44 BST (UK) »
I posted this originally over a year ago without a successful answer.  Is there anyone who recognises this building?  Many thanks.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 September 15 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn,

I have just moved your post to Breconshire to see if anyone recognises your picture from this board.  If you wish for me to move the post again please click on the "report to moderator" button for help.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 September 15 15:36 BST (UK) »
I don't recognise the house, but the architecture is similar to that of the Nevill Hall mansion house which still exists, albeit that it has been incorporated into Nevill Hall Hospital nowadays.  That particular building has lots of fancy detailing along the eaves, for example, although I don't know much about its layout.  It is, however, fairly close to the River Usk which flows behind it.

Another possibility is a property on the Glanusk Estate which is a few miles to the west of Crickhowell.  There is the large house on that estate which is not in the same style as the one in your photo, but the estate is very large (the River Usk flows through it) and there are numerous clusters of houses and other buildings of varying sizes and degrees of grandeur.

I'll re-post if I can think of any more possibilities!

Kind regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 September 15 15:48 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to COFLEIN which is a site showing historic Welsh buildings and monuments.  There are some photos you can look at of Old Nevill Hall which show the similarly between the architecture of that and the building in your photo.

http://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/20457/details/NEVILL+HALL+HOSPITAL%3BOLD+NEVILL+HALL%3B+NEVILL+COURT/

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk