Author Topic: John Beggs et al of Aughnacloy, County Tyrone  (Read 6032 times)

Offline CanadianGail

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Beggs et al of Aughnacloy, County Tyrone
« on: Friday 14 March 14 16:56 GMT (UK) »
John Beggs "successful merchant" born c1770-1780 or later, married Mary on 16 Sep 1815, Ballyeaston, Antrim, Ireland.  Mary's last name could be anything but based on children's and grandchildren's names might be Kerr/Cunningham/Daragh/Boyle.
John (and Mary) had at least nine daughters:
Susan Beggs (daughter #9) who married Manly Power Dudden,
Margaret Beggs (daughter #6) who married Thomas Hickey,
my great great-great-grandmother Maria Rebecca Beggs (daughter #8)  who married S G Morrison, and
"Daughter #4 of the Late John Beggs, relict of Moore Goodfellow (died c 1838) who married Stewart Simpson on 12 Aug 1839. 
John Beggs may also have had sons James Stewart Beggs born 7 Apr 1822 and David Beggs. 
So if anyone can provide clues to the names of John Beggs' children, it would be very much appreciated. 
It is also possible that John Beggs had another wife ...
John Beggs passed away 25 Dec 1831     
thankyou, Gail
Winslows of Ireland/Canada
Wardens of Alyth, Scotland
Tate/Tait of Ireland Scotland Canada
Honeywells of Canada/USA
Caigers of England/Canada
Gunn/Rennie of Scotland
McClelland/Gordon of County Down, Ireland
Fallis of Ireland/Canada
Brown of Chester, England
Blaymire/Bleywire/Bleymire/Bledwire/Blamire and other variations

Offline RTB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Beggs et al of Aughnacloy, County Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 April 14 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

There was a Beggs family in Glenroe, Aughnacloy at the time of the 1901 census, may be a relative?, also, a Robert Beggs was a witness to a wedding in 1845 at the marriage of Elizabeth Watson and James Bailey at Aughnacloy Presbyterian Church

Regards

RTB

Offline peterjharris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 August 14 18:17 BST (UK) »
Gail, I am also researching John Beggs and wondered if you have found anything more about him? My wife is descended from daughter Margaret who married the Rev. Thomas HICKEY. I have so far found the following on John:

A John BEGGS was recorded in  the "Census of the County Tyrone, Diocese of Armagh, Parishes of Aghalow and Carnteel 1766" This could be John or his father?

In a report of 1816/17 "The Minutes of the Trustees of the Linen and Hemp Manufacturers of Ireland containing the Reports of their Secretary on A Tour of Inspection through the Province of Ulster In October, November, and December, 1816" was the following:

"The following are the names and residences of the principal Buyers of this County, who attend this Market themselves, or send their Commisioners to purchase for them:

John Beggs, Aughnacloy, Tyrone"

In the "Aughnacloy Pigot's Directory 1824" was the following entry for John BEGGS:

"Beggs John grocer & leather seller"

Details of John's Death was in the personal notices inserted in the LONDONDERRY SENTINEL and LONDONDERRY STANDARD:

December 31 1831 -  From paralytic, on Christmas Day, MR. JOHN BEGGS, of Aughnacloy, Merchant

Also in the The Ballyshannon Herald and Donegal Advertiser. January 6, 1832 - Ballyshannon, County Donegal: "From paralytic, on Christmas-day, Mr. John Beggs, of Aughnacloy, Merchant--a gentleman deplored by his family, and most deservedly regretted by all who were favoured with his acquaintance."

There is a Will Transcript for John BEGGS in 1832, Armagh Diocese (Ref: IWR/1832/F/106, Vol: 4/236/20) in the Index of Irish Wills 1484-1858.

I am going to see if I can get a copy of this.

Peter Harris

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 September 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

First Ballyeaston Marriage records show what John Beggs married Mary Beggs on the 16 September 1815.  Witnesses were James Andrews, William Mayne and Mrs J Andrews.

I am afraid this is all the info I have on the marriage.

Regards

John Waugh
Stewart, Stuart, Todd, Duncan, Waugh, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston, Rashee, Cairncastle areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland (Ireland)

Offline peterjharris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 March 15 22:18 BST (UK) »
Gail, From Warrenpoint marriages there is the following:

Miss Margaret SHEALS, sister of Capt. Sheals of Warrenpoint; married Mr.Joseph Beggs of Aughnacloy 22 Sep 1828 at Warrenpoint Presbyterian Church.

Its possible that Joseph is a brother or another relation of John BEGGS?

No other information yet as to what happens to them subsequently.

Regards, Peter

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 04:40 BST (UK) »
You might want to check out the Valuations that are online from PRONI.  I have been looking through them and saw a John Beggs go by.  He had apparently bought some property previously inhabited by some of mine.  I am fairly sure I saw him come up a few times.  This would put him owning land in Gortnagola, Ballymacall, Killeeshil, or Mullaghfurtherland areas. 

The valuations cover 1860 - 1929, and show change of occupancy and ownership.  Example:  original owner John Goff crossed out and Lady Alicia written in, shows that during the period covered, the ownership changed to Lady Alicia Goff.  Some of them have several changes where the occupier died, new owner died, new owner died etc.  If you have any of the pertinent death dates or Will information (also online at PRONI) you can construct a quite detailed plan of your ancestor's lives.

Good luck!
Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven