Author Topic: Leicestershire Settlement Examination for John Pool(e)  (Read 2318 times)

Offline Decker21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leicestershire Settlement Examination for John Pool(e)
« on: Monday 17 March 14 12:25 GMT (UK) »
How do I find settlement examinations? I have a John Pool(e) living in Ibstock but legally settled in Nailstone in 1776. I do not live in Leicestershire so I am relying on internet searches.  Have only recently got this far back so settlements are still a bit of a mystery to me still but I believe that they will give me the most information. John married Rebekah Fowkes at Ibstock in 1775 and 3 of their children were christened at Ibstock then 2 more were christened at Nailstone. He was married by licence and described as John Pool of Barlestone bachelor although I think this was his second marriage. I have found a John Pool born at Ibstock in 1726 to William and Elizabeth.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Sylvia

Offline Mary from Italy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Leicestershire Settlement Examination for John Pool(e)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 June 14 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia,

Settlement examinations would be held by the Leicestershire Record Office in Wigston. You could try e-mailing them to ask if they can find one for John, but I'm also related to this family, and didn't find anything last time I looked at Wigston.

I did find the settlement examination of his son Richard, which I think you may have, because it says that when Richard was born (he was baptised in 1776), his father was living in Ibstock but legally settled in the parish of Nailstone.

Can I ask how you're related to the family? I'm descended from Richard Pool through his son Joseph.

Regards,
Mary
Cassidy (Drogheda, Ireland and Sydney, NSW); Chester (Carleton-in-Craven and Calton, Yorks); Cockshott (Bradley and Silsden, Yorks); Garner (Warwickshire); Grimshaw (Manchester, Lancs, Bradford, Yorks and Sydney, NSW); (Inman (Bradford, Yorks, Sydney and Armidale, NSW); Mallet (Lichfield, Staffs); North (Rothley, Leics); Pool (Ibstock and Leicester, Leics); Slingsby (Bulkington, Warks); Sparkes (Fillongley, Warks and Whittington, Staffs); Throup (Bradley, Silsden and Gargrave, Yorks)

Offline Decker21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Leicestershire Settlement Examination for John Pool(e)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 June 14 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

Nice to hear from a Pool descendant. I live in Kent and have just returned from a trip to Leicester in search of burials and wills but had no joy.  My maiden name was Pool and my sister and I have been researching our family for about 15 years now and got stuck on our GtGrandfatherx3 Thomas Pool.  We believe him to be the son of Richard Pool born 1776 at Ibstock but cannot find a christening for him.  He was born 1797 and became a bricklayer. He married Susannah Hardy at St Margarets in Leicester in 1817 and came to London.  The only evidence we have that Richard and Letitia are his parents is that in 1812 a Thomas Pool father Richard woolsorter was apprenticed to Thomas Knight bricklayer and in 1826 a Thomas Pool bricklayer of London bought his freedom. In the 1851 census Thomas Pool is living in Kensington and says he was born in Leicester.  We know that Richard was a soldier when he married Letitia in Canterbury and that their son Richard was born at Deal in 1799 but we can find no record of Thomas' birth either in Kent or Leicester. We had hoped that Richard or John his father had left a will which mentioned him but no such luck.  Even Richard's settlement papers did not include the examination which might have helped. So we are still stuck at Thomas even though we feel sure we have the correct Richard woolsorter.  Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Regards, Sylvia Howard