Author Topic: John Roberts TUTHILL, aka STEPHENS, immigration NSW c 1853  (Read 2967 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Roberts TUTHILL, aka STEPHENS, immigration NSW c 1853
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 22:59 GMT (UK) »
nephew of the late J Thurston, Billiard Tables Maker, 

So, do you take it that this J THURSTON is the uncle of John STEPHENS, and was THURSTON in Australia or in England??

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 March 14 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Judith, John Thurston c 1777 - 1850 was a very well known billiard table maker in London, operated from 14 - 16 Catherine Street, Strand, London, England.
He had no connections with Australia, other than by trade.

Plenty of information about him here -
http://www.snookerheritage.co.uk/histories-articles/thurston-co/

I had already connected him to my 3G grandfather William Tuthill, aka Stephens, and by implication to John in Sydney.  Now I have found an advert where the connection is mentioned (more for added kudos than affection for a dead uncle not seen for at least 20 years, I'm sure).

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 September 14 18:51 BST (UK) »
I have found the shipping record!

I have started a new topic, so that others would read the topic (they might think that this topic had been exhausted, with 3 pages of responses back and forth.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=700489.0

Thank you all, I knew it must be there somewhere.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 18:48 BST (UK) »
A quick update for anyone that helped me out and/or followed this thread from 2014.

Autosomal DNA testing has given me a match with one of the Australian descendants​ of John Robert Tuthill aka Stephens, who worked as a billiard table maker in Sydney.

It is very good to have this rather complicated branch of my tree confirmed.  The person I matched up with was extremely surprised, she had no idea of the connection.

Anybody with any brickwalls or uncertainties in the last 150 - 200 years or so, please consider autosomal DNA testing.

Margaret