Author Topic: John Roberts TUTHILL, aka STEPHENS, immigration NSW c 1853  (Read 5499 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Roberts TUTHILL, aka STEPHENS, immigration NSW c 1853
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 22:59 GMT (UK) »
nephew of the late J Thurston, Billiard Tables Maker, 

So, do you take it that this J THURSTON is the uncle of John STEPHENS, and was THURSTON in Australia or in England??

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 March 14 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Judith, John Thurston c 1777 - 1850 was a very well known billiard table maker in London, operated from 14 - 16 Catherine Street, Strand, London, England.
He had no connections with Australia, other than by trade.

Plenty of information about him here -
http://www.snookerheritage.co.uk/histories-articles/thurston-co/

I had already connected him to my 3G grandfather William Tuthill, aka Stephens, and by implication to John in Sydney.  Now I have found an advert where the connection is mentioned (more for added kudos than affection for a dead uncle not seen for at least 20 years, I'm sure).

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 September 14 18:51 BST (UK) »
I have found the shipping record!

I have started a new topic, so that others would read the topic (they might think that this topic had been exhausted, with 3 pages of responses back and forth.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=700489.0

Thank you all, I knew it must be there somewhere.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 18:48 BST (UK) »
A quick update for anyone that helped me out and/or followed this thread from 2014.

Autosomal DNA testing has given me a match with one of the Australian descendants​ of John Robert Tuthill aka Stephens, who worked as a billiard table maker in Sydney.

It is very good to have this rather complicated branch of my tree confirmed.  The person I matched up with was extremely surprised, she had no idea of the connection.

Anybody with any brickwalls or uncertainties in the last 150 - 200 years or so, please consider autosomal DNA testing.

Margaret