Author Topic: BMDshare - will it come back? - alternatives?  (Read 19633 times)

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BMDshare - will it come back? - alternatives?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 April 14 12:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry - unintended reply. Please ignore.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 April 14 12:47 BST (UK) »
I don't think the GRO has anything to fear from postem entries on freebmd.

The vast majority of certificates supplied by the GRO are for legal and official purposes where a paper copy of the cert is physically required.

Take a sideways step....

How many postems have you found on freebmd? I very rarely find one of interest.

There is a chart here

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/EntryCounts.pl

which shows how many entries there are on freebmd. You have to be extremely lucky to find a relevant postem which enables you not to have to purchase a cert.

If you have a problem with the T&C's at freebmd you should take the issue up with them.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 April 14 12:59 BST (UK) »
How many postems have you found on freebmd? I very rarely find one of interest.

Thanks dawnsh. I suppose you're right, it's a drop in the ocean compared to the number of potential index entries out there. So far I've found one (!) FreeBMD entry with a postem relating to a person in my tree.

If you have a problem with the T&C's at freebmd you should take the issue up with them.

I'm composing an email for FreeBMD-Discuss-L.

Paul

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 April 14 13:37 BST (UK) »
Can't believe it never crossed my mind to fill in a "postem" note.   However, I did know the site has something to do with anc---y so I've surfed and found this:-

<<This is Google's cache of http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/legal/Partners. >>

<<FreeBMD is an ongoing project, the aim of which is to transcribe the Civil Registration index of births, marriages and deaths for England and Wales. The transcribing of the records is carried out by teams of dedicated volunteers and contains index information for the period 1837-1983.

Ancestry.com proudly sponsors the work of FreeBMD, which is also an Ancestry 'Super Affiliate', meaning that FreeBMD maintains a significant presence on the Ancestry.co.uk website, maximizing its own brand exposure.

In return, FreeBMD's databases are hosted and updated monthly on Ancestry.co.uk, providing a high quality, vital resource for family history enthusiasts.

FreeBMD is a part of FreeUKGEN family, which also includes FreeCENN (Census data) and FreeREG (Parish Registers).>>
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 June 14 14:18 BST (UK) »
Do not think Postems are any threat to the GRO.

All I hope to do is ensure that those who do want to order any Certificates does not order the wrong one.

I know if I find a certificate I want to order and it has a postem on it, I will probably still order it anyway.  Just love 'em!!!!

I did used ShareBMD when I first started out, but Postems are by far the easiest way to get the info out there.

And as for the other sites (including the thread on here) for unwanted certs. seriously who has the time to trawl through all those names just on the off chance one you want is there.  Life is far too short.... ;)
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Lubricated

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seen it in another tree? Doesn't mean it's right!
    • View Profile
Re: Postems & Unmanted BMD Certificates
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 January 15 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Do you want the certificates - or do you want the DATA on them?

I've got loads of certificates I don't want - right ones and wrong ones - cos I've now got the data.

I think FreeBMD Postems are the best way forward to dispose of unwanted certificates and I've just added a few more drops to the ocean.

This is my standard postem "Unwanted certificate available free from    sdrawkcabtasserddaliameym" <<<.... well not quite, but I'm sure you can work it out.

It's a cheap way for someone to find out whether they are going to buy the right one! ;)
Stiles/Styles - Essex, Cambs, Herts, Beds, Middx
Caldecoat & variants - Cambs (Foxton/Meldreth areas)
Chancellor - Berkshire
Mallam - Wiltshire, Berkshire
Shortridge - Cumberland and Scotland
McKew - East London (Mile End, Bethnal Grn, Etc)
Edge - Buckinghamshire
Wyatt, William - supposedly born Greenwich 2 April 1861
Smith - Kingsclere, Hampshire 1750-1800

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 January 15 20:30 GMT (UK) »
I put all my certs info on Postems. It is particularly useful for researchers trying to identify the correct bride or groom when there are four people listed on the Page. The Postem will eliminate one of the choices.  ;)

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
Re: Postems & Unmanted BMD Certificates
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Do you want the certificates - or do you want the DATA on them?

I've got loads of certificates I don't want - right ones and wrong ones - cos I've now got the data.

I think FreeBMD Postems are the best way forward to dispose of unwanted certificates and I've just added a few more drops to the ocean.

This is my standard postem "Unwanted certificate available free from    sdrawkcabtasserddaliameym" <<<.... well not quite, but I'm sure you can work it out.

It's a cheap way for someone to find out whether they are going to buy the right one! ;)

The one certificate would then benefit the one person who got it.  I put all the details from the cert onto the postem, names, dates, addresses, witnesses, father's names, occupations etc etc.   Anyone can benefit then, and someone could still get the cert. 
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Lubricated

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seen it in another tree? Doesn't mean it's right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Very true.  But I want rid of the paperwork because I spend more and more of my time in a Motorhome and storage is going to become an issue.

Did think of sending them to various Family History Societies, even SOG in London, but they all have the same storage issue - storage is why 70% of the UK's shipping Crew Lists ended up in Newfoundland!

I am going to Scan the BMD certs and keep the digital image. Once the original certificate has gone I can then either send an image to any subsequent enquirer or at the very least send them a summary. Scanning is why I no longer need any certificate or other copy paperwork for that matter.

I looked at this long and hard - what are my kids going to do with my records when I'm dead? They'll chuck em away. So I might as well get rid of them where they'll do some good.
Stiles/Styles - Essex, Cambs, Herts, Beds, Middx
Caldecoat & variants - Cambs (Foxton/Meldreth areas)
Chancellor - Berkshire
Mallam - Wiltshire, Berkshire
Shortridge - Cumberland and Scotland
McKew - East London (Mile End, Bethnal Grn, Etc)
Edge - Buckinghamshire
Wyatt, William - supposedly born Greenwich 2 April 1861
Smith - Kingsclere, Hampshire 1750-1800