Author Topic: BMDshare - will it come back? - alternatives?  (Read 19632 times)

Offline Lubricated

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seen it in another tree? Doesn't mean it's right!
    • View Profile
Re: BMDshare - will it come back? - alternatives?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 07:57 BST (UK) »
An update to earlier posts....

Discovered that the Society of Genealogists in London were more than happy to take any certificates I didn't want!

So the wife and I scanned all the certificates we had, that's both the ones which were relevant to our trees and the ones which were not, and then gave them to S.O.G.  Just over 400 of them.

If I understood them correctly, S.O.G. have an upcoming project regarding BMD certificates. So at some future time it might be worth contacting them before purchasing from the GRO.  In the meantime it looks as though they will happily take all those unwanted certificates - I'm sure they'll even take them from non-members! ;)

Just in case the drives holding the scans die, we've attached copies of the scans to our trees (we use Family Tree Maker) and have then backed up our trees on line to Ancestry. So our trees and data and scans won't die with us.

Minor point: A typical scan of a BMD certificate as a .jpg file creates a file about 4 Megabytes in size. One scan on it's own is not a problem but a couple of hundred starts to create a huge file when all brought together, as in linking to a tree. To overcome this we compressed the scans to approx. 1/10th their original size.  We used Microsoft Office Picture Manager but I'm sure that most image software packages could do the same. Compression doesn't destroy the image or data, and it makes a collection much more manageable.

Lubricated
Stiles/Styles - Essex, Cambs, Herts, Beds, Middx
Caldecoat & variants - Cambs (Foxton/Meldreth areas)
Chancellor - Berkshire
Mallam - Wiltshire, Berkshire
Shortridge - Cumberland and Scotland
McKew - East London (Mile End, Bethnal Grn, Etc)
Edge - Buckinghamshire
Wyatt, William - supposedly born Greenwich 2 April 1861
Smith - Kingsclere, Hampshire 1750-1800

Offline wb2f

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 16:14 BST (UK) »
Re Martha Harrison
Hi Lubricated, I'm still trying to work my way around finding things on Rootschat so bear with me.
I came across a very old entry of yours re Charles Cecil & Martha Harrison from which I too am descended.  You say you have info on Martha and her death certificate.  Could you possibly help me with this info and say where I will find your reply (if any) on Rootschat please.  Thanks

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 12 October 17 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Prelli

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

I think this may be the topic you are referring to.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=457060.msg4758354#msg4758354

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea