Author Topic: Francis "James" Glancy married Catherine Mitchel Help Sunnagh more  (Read 4108 times)

Offline TamiGlancy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis "James" Glancy married Catherine Mitchel Help Sunnagh more
« on: Tuesday 18 March 14 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find some information on my great-g-grandparents (above) families. James lived in Sunnagh more before he immigrated in 1870. His parents were Hugh Glancy and Alice Keegan. I have the date of their deaths but would love to know about Hugh and Alice's brothers and sisters. James had two sisters, Alice and Bridget, and I am wondering who they might have married. If they had children? Did they leave Leitrim also?

Francis "James" Glancy/Catherine Mitchel story:
After Alice Keegan Glancy passed in 1869, James took his wife, Catherine, and three children to the US and farmed for many years with the last name of Clancy. In 1889 he died in a coal mine powder house explosion. Catherine sold the farm in Kansas and her and the eight kids (Francis, Hugh, Mary, Thomas, Alice, Rose Ann, Grandpa Joseph, and William) all went to Colorado to work the silver mines. In their spare time the boys participated in the Oklahoma land runs, claiming pieces of land that they would homestead and share with their brothers and sisters.

I have read Maria's wonderful book, but still cannot see connection for Hugh Glancy family members.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis "James" Glancy married Catherine Mitchel Help Sunnagh more
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 March 14 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi There and welcome !

James had another sister called Margaret - here is her marriage !

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGZJ-KM7

Tara

Offline Jim I

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 19:08 BST (UK) »
A Catherine Glancy was born to Hugh and Alice on 19th August 1835 and a Catherine Glancy married a Francis Casey on 21st Feb 1860 in Cloone parish and they had at least 10 children.  I do not know if both Catherines were the same person but it would be worth checking the Irish civil records for the bride’s father’s name, just to see.  Of course even if her father was Hugh that would not be evidence that she is the same woman but it would make it more than just a possibility.

I can see no evidence for Margaret (Tara’s post) being any connection to your family.  That woman’s father was Hugh but there could have been quite a few Hughs in Leitrim at that time.

As to Alice; there was an Alice Glancy who married a James McKiernan in Cloone in January 1871.  Again you would have to check for the bride’s name to see if this might have been your Alice.  This family does not appear in Cloone parish after this time.

I cannot find a record of a marriage for Bridget in Cloone.

Offline Montana1000

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 March 15 03:52 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XJWM-2HR
An 1882 Iowa marriage shows my GreatGrndFther: Patrick Montgomery married Alice Clancy, her aprox age 26.  Her Father was Hugh and Mother was Alice Keegan.  Patrick's mother was listed as Mary Fitzimmons. 
Thanks for the correct spelling of Glancy.