Author Topic: Stevenson in Co. Cavan, Meath, Down (1596-1829)  (Read 10254 times)

Offline eriehps

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stevenson in Co. Cavan, Meath, Down (1596-1829)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 June 16 00:01 BST (UK) »
According to: Gravestone Inscriptions County Down, V. 12, compiled by R.S.J Clarke, published by the Ulster-Scot Historical Foundation, Willia Stevenson and Isabella Orr are buried in Templepatrick Graveyard in the downland of Miller Hill and parish of Donaghadee.  The inscription reads: 

Here leith the body of William Stevenson late of Ballyraer who departed this life 23rd June 1786 aged 56 years.  Also his wife Isabella Stevenson alias ORR who departed this life 27th October 1818 aged 74 years. 

The grave are photographed and online at:   http://www.graves2.homecall.co.uk/Templepatrick/FrameSet.htm

I am also researching this family.  Hope this helps.

I searched the cemetery in Balligan but there are only a handful of gravestones there. 

Offline ejberg4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 20:41 GMT (UK) »
I dug through some books and journals that Google has digitized and found a tracing of a stone in Bangor Abbey for a William Stevnstone d. 1627.  I've attached it below.  The records came from John Stevenson a writer in the early 1900s and the Ulster Archaeology Journal.  Here is John Stevenson in his book,  Two Centuries of Life in Down, 1600-1800.

Stevenson describes a monument to the first Dean of Down under the Ulster Scots, Mester John Gibson, in the old church of Bangor.  “Later, with opportunity to wander any day, or every day in the churchyard, I found many memorial stones of the early Scots.  The great Lord Claneboye [James Hamilton] must have seen them many times…
“Most of these early 17th-century stones are heavy oblong slabs with lettering in relief.  The statement of name, with description of the commemorated and date of death, begins at one corner of the stone, and is carried round the margin to finish at the starting point, the centre space being devoted to heraldry and doggerel, --pious, affectionate, or appreciative.  A man drowned in 1629, certified by the marginal inscription to have been ‘a worthy Gentleman,’ William Stevnstone, --perhaps one of my own people, for they were of the Ards—is thus made to express his hope in a joyful resurrection: --

‘This Corps I left on Walter Shore,         
My Soule now bathes in Flodes of Glor,
No Tempests tose no Deeps can droune,
No Death can Reave that purchased Crovne,
I died in Chryst with Chryst I rest.
Chryst was my Hope my Gaine,
My Bodie heir in Grave doth lye,
In Grave not to remaine.’"

The reference to Walter Shore could either be poetic for Ballywater or could mean that he drowned (as Stevenson reads into it). 

The stone also says he was 27, died in 1627, and was married to "E.E." 

Offline ejberg4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 20:51 GMT (UK) »
A higher resolution of this can be found in the Ulster Journal of Archaeology, "Monumental Remains of the Old Abbey of Bangor" Volume 7 from 1901.