Author Topic: Band of Hope & Temperance League Hull & District  (Read 5202 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Band of Hope & Temperance League Hull & District
« on: Wednesday 19 March 14 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Looking for anyone who was connected to the Band of Hope in Hull between the early 1900s and the 1940s.
We at the Carnegie Heritage Centre in Hull have acquired a suitcase full of photographs and related paperwork of this society which was based at 15, Baker Street in Hull.

Some of the names of the May Queens and the dates they were elected:

Cissie Layton...1921
Jennie Swinn...1927
Bessie Tomlinson1928
Jenny Thornton...1929
Winifred Lawson...1930
Doris Millbank...1931

The Secretary was Frank H. Jefferies.

The photographs and related material will be on display at the centre in May

http://www.carnegiehull.co.uk/

If you have any connection to the people mentioned or the Society I would love to hear from you.

Thanks for looking.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Band of Hope & Temperance League Hull & District
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 March 14 12:53 BST (UK) »
More Band of Hope May Queens:

1907...Hilda May Sizer
1908...Ellen Beharrell
1909...Gladys Laybourne/A Layburn
1910...Dora Voakes
1911...Gertrude Simms
1912...Melita Roebuck
1913...Ivy Balmforth
1914...Phyllis Sharrah-Simpson
1915...Irene Sibley
1916...Ethel Turner
1917...Emma Moore
1918...H. Hancock

More to follow.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
More May Queens:

Photographs and related material with be on display at The Carnegie Heritage Centre on Sunday 4th May.

1918...Hannah Hancock
1919...Gwen Brigham
1920...Helen M. Grassam
1921...Cissie Layton
1922...Florence May West
1923...Enid Norton
1924...Muriel Wray
1925...Gertrude Biggins
1926...Muriel Thompson

Attached photo is of Cissie Layton...May Queen...1921

We would be pleased to hear from anyone who is related to the above mentioned ladies.

http://www.carnegiehull.co.uk/

Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 10:42 BST (UK) »
More May Queens:
1927 - Jennie Swinn
1928 – Bessie Tomlinson
1929 – Jenny Thornton
1930 – Winifred Lawson
1931 – Doris Millbank
1932 – Edith M. Cook
1933 – Eliza L. Marshall
1934 – Ivy Gill
1935 – Norah Woodlass
1936 – Marjorie Pool
1937 – Marjorie Pool – (No May Queen Festival due to King’s Coronation)
1938 – Marjorie Pool
1939 – Marion Johnson
1940 – Eileen Billaney
1949 - Pauline Searby (Attendant)

Chairman – 1901- Joseph Rank……Secretary – Frank Jefferies

Photographs of some of the May Queens and arttendants will be on sale on at the exhibition on Sunday May 4th

Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 April 14 16:51 BST (UK) »
Raising this for interested parties.
Carol

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 April 22 20:03 BST (UK) »
I have a photo of my mother's oldest sister posing outdoors with the Band of Hope Temperance society. Hull.   She was born 1911 but I've just come across a second birth registration in the freebmd for the year 1925 when she was 14 years old, which has me wondering why two "birth"/"baptisms".
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 April 22 23:59 BST (UK) »
I have the same situation with one line of the family where there was two entries, it turns out the Mother wasn't married so the child was registered first with the Mother's maiden name then reregistered after she married.
Carol

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 April 22 19:51 BST (UK) »
I have the same situation with one line of the family where there was two entries, it turns out the Mother wasn't married so the child was registered first with the Mother's maiden name then reregistered after she married.
Carol

Ta ever so.  I summised that that was the case.

1911 was the year the male members of my family joined the newly formed RAMC "territorial" army and were posted up to Geordie Land for regular exercises.

Possibly the wedding came after the birth.  She was included with her younger siblings on his WWI official documentation.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke