Author Topic: Memorial Inscriptions  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Memorial Inscriptions
« on: Wednesday 19 March 14 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I recently purchased a copy  of Clackmannanshire memorial inscriptions pre-1855 from the Scottish Genealogy Society.

A number of the memorial references were of the form (e.g)  1825 Michael Penman  2 lairs.

Does this mean that there were only 2 grave spaces / lairs? in the spot and one of these was occupied by Michael Penman who died in 1825?    But that does not really make sense when making comparison with other memorial inscriptions.

Can anyone help me please?

Reiver

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial Inscriptions
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 March 14 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver,

I think it'll mean that the surveyed stone would only have the name and the year inscribed.

Possibly on the top or on the back, it would also have something like 'Holds 2 Lairs' - meaning that there was 2 burials, or the space for two burials OR that the same person owned two lairs side by side.

The only way to confirm this would be if you were able to access any existing Lair Records, if there are any.

Anne

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 March 14 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Ann, for those ideas.  Much appreciated.

The book covers 9 churchyards/cemeteries in the county.  Associated with each churchyard/cemetery/parish there are notes from other sources of information.   One I was particular interested in was the fact that reference is made to the Old Parochial Records and specifically;   1609-1854  Deaths nil (early portions of register much injured by damp).

I won't record more detail as this may infringe copyright.  Moderator Please amend as required.

Reiver

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 March 14 13:07 GMT (UK) »
The attached photo is possibly similar to the Michael Penman stone.

As you can see, at the top it says "3 Lairs 1835"

Then "James Watson & Elizabeth Watso" (The 'n' at the end of Watson is squeezed in above!)

This stone is in Clackmannan Churchyard.

Anne

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 March 14 11:36 GMT (UK) »
That photograph showing the reference to lairs and a person and year answers the basic questions I had.
Many thanks again, Anne.

Reiver

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 March 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
so pleased to hear the Clackmannan MI's are now available ...... here we go to order it...

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Alvagirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Copied from an ambrotype of unidentified ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 April 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
Don't forget more recent Clacks burial records (1866-2014) online at http://www.clacksweb.org.uk/community/burialrecords/  There are 69 Penmans in these records, oldest is 1886 Greenside, Alloa and in Clackmannan kirkyard oldest is 1903 15 yr old Mary Penman.  Agree that number of lairs on stone mean how many can be buried there.  Usually on top or back.  Don't know whether this is just a Clackmannanshire/ Central Belt thang, or more widespread.
Aberdeenshire: GARDEN, BEATTIE, DUNN, DAVIDSON, BRAIK, JAFFRAY; JAMIESON, THOM, HAY, SCOTT
Morayshire: MACKAY, MURRAY, KENNEDY, ROSS, SMITH, MILNE; MORRISON, STEWART, PENNY, DEAN, McCONNACHIE