Author Topic: Robina/Reubena Lochie transported to Australia in 1834  (Read 8528 times)

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robina/Reubena Lochie transported to Australia in 1834
« on: Thursday 20 March 14 02:18 GMT (UK) »
She was charged at Stirling Court of Judiciary & transported to Australia on George Hibbert in 1834 arriving in 1835.She was said to be a native of Ayr.Does anyone have any info on any Lochie families during this time frame in these areas.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robina/Reubena Lochie transported to Australia in 1834
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 March 14 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

It is hard sometimes to research a convicts life before they arrived here. Not many convicts have their parents names noted on their death indexes.

14273/1898    ALDERS    RUBENA    UNKNOWN    UNKNOWN    KEMPSEY

BUT i did find this in the online indexes in the Scotland archives online.

http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

Hope the link opens up ok for you. Maybe contact the archives and see how you could get a copy of the trial papers. The trial files sometimes have family info such as she was a orphan, or if she lived on the streets, or even if a family member stood up as a witness to defend her. OR the file could have nothing  ;D

edited to add... I just tried the link  ::) Once it opens up the top you will see "search", click on that and when that page opens just type her name in and the index should come up.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 March 14 05:52 GMT (UK) »
OH!  :o This is interesting, i think your Robina had a sister named Mary.

Robina Lochie, Verdict: Guilty, Verdict Comments: Guilty in terms of own confession - theft, Sentence: Transportation - 7 years. Note: Tried with Catharine Mitchell and Christian Cock. Tried in conjunction with Mary Martin or McDonald. Also Ann Stean. Pannel cannot write.
Mary McDonald, wife of William McDonald, hatter, m.s. Martin, Verdict: Outlawed, Verdict Comments: Outlaw and fugitive, Sentence: Outlawed and put to the horn. Note: Tried in conjunction with Catharine Mitchell, Christian Cock and Robina Lochie. Also Ann Stean. Later page in minute book.
Christian Cock, Verdict: Guilty, Verdict Comments: Guilty, art and part - theft, Sentence: Transportation - 7 years. Note: Tried with Robina Lochie and Catharine Mitchell. Tried in conjunction with Mary Martin or McDonald. Also Ann Stean.The Advocate Depute passed on the charge of habit and repute.
Catharine Mitchell, Verdict: Guilty, Verdict Comments: Guilty in terms of own confession - theft, Sentence: Transportation - 7 years. Note: Tried with Robina Lochie and Christian Cock. Tried in conjunction with Mary Martin or McDonald. Also Ann Stean. Pannel cannot write.
Ann Stean Not called. Note: Also with Robina Lochie, Catharine Mitchell, Christian Cock and Mary Martin or McDonald.

Then

Trial papers relating to Mary Henderson, Margaret Henderson for the crime of robbery, or theft, habit and repute, and assault. Tried at High Court, Stirling
Dates   15 Apr 1833
Mary Henderson, wife of Alexander Henderson, moulder, m.s. Lochie , Verdict: Guilty, Verdict Comments: Guilty in terms of own confession - art and part - theft, Sentence: Transportation - 7 years. Note: Pannel cannot write.
Margaret Henderson, daughter of John Henderson, late miner, and Mary Henderson or Miller, sister to Alexander Henderson, Verdict: Guilty, Verdict Comments: Guilty in terms of own confession - theft, Sentence: Imprisonment - 9 months. Note: Pannel cannot write. Pannel to serve sentence in the jail of Stirling.

This Pannel person is mentioned in both trials as is the Lochie name.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 March 14 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Think i made a idiot of myself  :-[
I dont think Pannel is a person but maybe supposed to be the Panel as in those judging the trial ???

I need to find a rock to hide under about now  ;D

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 March 14 06:54 GMT (UK) »

Hi Giblet,
Thanks for your reply.Robina Lochie was my ggg grandmother.She married a fellow convict Edward Alders .I have different spellings for his name also.Their daughter Sophia married William Hudson the son of convicts who lived in Kempsey NSW.I was aware that Robina changed her name to Rubena.On some of the childrens births cert she is Robina but changes it to Rubena as she gets older hence her death cert.I realize Pannel isnt a person.I have seen some paperwork before saying Robina couldnt read or write.I havent found anything on the surname Lochie at all.Some paperwork she is called Robin Lacklin( who knows). I think she is Scottish supposedly from Ayr.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 March 14 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chinka,

What age do you think Robina was when she was transported?
And do her children's names offer any clues to her origins?
Looby :)

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 March 14 07:57 GMT (UK) »

Christina born 1843 ,Sophia born1850,Maria born 1852, Edward born 1854 .Rubena died 1898 so she was in Australia for 63years .I havent got a lot of info.Christina born as Aldridge with parents Robina & Edward. Sophia was born as Aldris parents Rebecca & Edward.(should be Rubena its Robina on her death cert).Maria born as Aldris parents Rubena & Edward  .Edward born as Aldris Parents Rubena & Edward .This family is a nightmare to trace.My Aunt found all these different names.But it is the same family.                 

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 March 14 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Ah... That is interesting that her first daughter is called Christina.

There are two people on the 1841 Census living at Alloa, Clackmannanshire at a place called Farm of Ditch (sounds lovely!)
William Lochie      aged 55    Farmer     born Clackmannanshire
Christian Lochie  aged 35                    born outside Census County
There are 2 female servants Janet McLachlan (20) and Janet Ferguson (15 with them.
There is nothing on the 1841 to give the relationship between the couple (i.e. husband/wife, father/daughter etc).

Just thought I'd bring them to your attention as Alloa is approx. 7 miles , I think from Stirling and the name Christian (Christina).
Where do you have the suggestion that Robina was from Ayr?

Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 March 14 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Don't know about that couple now :-[
Think they are man and wife and married in 1827. So too late to be parents of Robina -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTLL-SLS.

Of course William could have been married before?? (Grasping at straws)
It would still be interesting to know where the reference to Ayr comes in to the story.

Looby