Author Topic: Robina/Reubena Lochie transported to Australia in 1834  (Read 8578 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Robina/Reubena Lochie transported to Australia in 1834
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 March 14 12:45 GMT (UK) »

In court proceedings what does tried and put to the horn mean.

Sorry, missed your question. 'put to the horn' I believe just means outlawed. See Chambers Dictionary: Put to the horn: (obs. Scots law) to outlaw by three blasts of the horn at the Cross of Edinburgh http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Chambers%27s_Twentieth_Century_Dictionary_1908/Holywell_Hurry

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 March 14 13:05 GMT (UK) »

There must have been a family of Lochies at Clackmananshire living there in 1833.see Mary & Margaret Henderson some connection to Lochie.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 March 14 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

The reason I quizzed you on the location of Ayr as being Robina's birthplace was Alloway/ Alloa  ???
Had wondered if there could have been a mix up on Australian certs between the 2 places.
Then again it could still have happened by word of mouth :-\ over the years.

Looby :)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 March 14 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Looby  :)

Warming up to Clackmannanshire for Robina  ;) It is a pity that there doesn't seem to be a precognition document to be found so far. We need all the info we can get at this stage on Robina. This document may have had more personal info on her.

I started to try and see if we could find anything further on the women who were also charged and transported with Robina, given they acted together, thought they might be from the same place.

Apart from Robina, tried were:

Christian Cock - transported
Catherine Mitchell - transported
Mary Martin or McDonald - not sure what happened with Mary
Ann Stean - looks like charges were dropped?

I think Christian Cock shows on Convict registers in NSW as being born in 1813 in Clackmannan and then Gallowayshire ( :-\ different counties).

Monica

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 March 14 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica.

Already been looking at the other girls/ladies.
There is a Christian Duncan Cock born in Alloa 1812 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XBKQ-4RP. Wonder if this could be the girl in the dock with Robina,

Looby :)

Amended- Spelled the Surname Cox when it should have been Cock ! Sorry!! I could crack a joke but I won't.

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 20 March 14 13:34 GMT (UK) »

I have found that when doing family history there are many discrepancies.In spelling of names,of people & places.My Irish great grandfather was born in a place that doesnt exist.But it is well documented here in Australia.I think I have found a likely place sounding similiar with similiar spelling.But no one previously researching has found our family yet.I think different accents make the spelling of certain places difficult especially if those involved were illiterate.Well I do know I have a celtic background.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 20 March 14 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Marriage of a Mary Martin to a William McDonald in Alloa, Clackmannashire in 1833 which would fit https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTLL-QHC

Monica

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 20 March 14 13:54 GMT (UK) »

My Aunt had it written in documentation Robina was from Ayr.I will get in touch with her & find out exactly what info she has & get back to you.What does it mean in the court proceedings m.s. Lochie next to Mary Henderson.It seems Stirling is a long way from Ayr in my calculations.I havent found the name Lochie before.What are its origins.If this family were related & had servants why would Robina need to steal.I havent found a marriage for Robina so dont know if she was single when transported.Thanks,
                                     Chinka

Just realised we hadn't addressed your query re the 2 servants with the Lochie couple, chinka.
More than likely these women would be farm workers helping the farmer Robert Lochie on the land. I don't think the Lochie would be rich people with personal servants.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 20 March 14 17:40 GMT (UK) »
RE:  Mary Lochie - Henderson

Mary Lochie
Aliases   Henderson (Alias)

Stirling Court of Justiciary
Sentence term   7 years
Ship   Amphitrite
Departure date   21st August, 1833
Arrival date    21st April, 1834
Place of arrival   New South Wales

There isnt much to check out from the Australian side for her as they never arrived. They were shipwrecked.

http://artuccino.com/Allan_Cunningham_Botanist_1839/index.php/31st-august-1833/

Edited to add more..

Less often still did the crimes of woman involve violence, like the robbery of four pounds and four shillings committed by Mary Lochie and Margaret Henderson. The charge was that " they did wickedly and feloniously attack and assult Alexander Wright, feuar [land tenant] and weaver, residing in Alloa by striking him one or more blows with a iron poker and did knock him to the ground and otherwise maltreat him. In her defense Lochie claimed that Wright deserved the beating. Drunk after dowing more than a mutchkin [ and imperial pint] of whiskey, he had tried to enter her bed and she struck him in defense of her virture. Unfortunately Henderson, Lochie's sister in law, didnt corrobrate the story. Lochie got seven years transportation. Henderson got nine months in prison.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uYC-X01xa4EC&pg=PT81&lpg=PT81&dq=convict+lochie&source=bl&ots=X0EsvyD1ud&sig=pOYSZnXvbNBs0T-nRlr0034CBGY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7SorU-_tIYSckAXV74G4Cg&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=convict%20lochie&f=false