Author Topic: Help please, re child raised by Samuel & Anne Ward in Shrewsbury  (Read 8972 times)

Offline denyse_aus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please, re child raised by Samuel & Anne Ward in Shrewsbury
« on: Thursday 20 March 14 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Hoping someone can tell me if Samuel Ward & wife Anne raised a child named Jessie Thomson/Thompson, illegitimate daughter of a Thomas Munro. (Thomas sent her to a military family in Shropshire to be raised & provided for her financially. I just don't know who the military family was but Jessie married Anne Ward nee Crewe's nephew)

Name: Samuel Ward
Birth: 1771
Death: 1831 at his residence, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Occupation:  Captain and Adjutant in the Shrewsbury and South Salopian Regiments of Yeomanry Cavalry
Marriage:25 Nov 1795 Birmingham, St Martin, Warwickshire, England
Spouse: Anne Crewe
Christen: 25 Sep 1775 St Chad's, Wybunbury
Death: 1841 at the house of her nephew, James Crewe, solicitor, of Prince Edwin Street, Everton, Liverpool
Father: Robert Crewe (1742-)
Mother: Ann Harding (1741-1819)

Notes for Samuel Ward
My 3xGt-Grandparents, Jessey Munro THOMPSON & James CREWE were both witnesses to the will of Samuel WARD on 3 Aug 1831, two years before Jessey & James married. No children named in the will. All went to wife, Ann Ward.
=========
"On the 27th ult., at the house of her nephew, Mr. James Crew, solicitor, of Prince Edwin-street, Everton, Ann, relict of the late Samuel Ward, Esq., of Shrewsbury, aged 67 years" Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser September 04, 1841
==========
"On Tuesday morning, in his 60th year, at his residence, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, universally respected, Samuel Ward, Esq. 22 years captain and adjutant in the Shrewsbury and South Salopian Regiments of Yeomanry Cavalry" Staffordshire Advertiser August 20, 1831.
=========
Sorry this is so longwinded.
Denyse in Queensland

CHS: Boulderstone, Lomas, Bracegirdle, Worsencroft, Whitelegg, Jones, Simpson, Harding, Walley, Crewe<br />LAN: Butterworth, Holme, Brierley, Hoyle, Keary, Taylor, Bonney, Winterbottom, Bennison, Roscoe<br />W/MIDS: Stringer, Gill, Hampton, Hancox, Grainger, Parkes, Bodily, Jeavons, Ellis, Troman<br />MSX, LON, SRY: Stoner, Russell, Colebrook, Deighton, Husher, Bonney, Knott, Boatwright, Woodman, Smith<br />CLA: Quinn, Creedy, McGrath, McInerney, Arkins<br />COR: Lenihan, Connor, Byrne, Welsh<br

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please, re child raised by Samuel & Anne Ward in Shrewsbury
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 March 14 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Denyse ....you say James Crewe and Jessey Munro Thompson ??
these records state she was Jessey Munro SCOTT

Baptism: 9 Sep 1834 St Augustine, Everton, Lancashire, England
 Samuel Ward Scott - Son of James Crewe & Jessey Munro Scott
     Born: 9 Aug 1834
     Abode: Prince Edwin St
     Baptised by: T Tattershall, Minister

Baptism: 28 Apr 1836 St Augustine, Everton, Lancashire, England
 Mary Jessey Crewe - Daughter of James Crewe & Jessey Munro Scott
     Abode: Prince Edward St
     Baptised by: T Tattershall, Minister

Baptism: 13 Jan 1839 St Augustine, Everton, Lancashire, England
 James Richard Crewe - Son of James Crewe & Jessey Munro Scott
     Born: 2 May 1838
     Abode: 20 Prince Edwin Place
     Baptised by: W A Strange

go to www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html
click
baptisms
crewe   father james    mother  jessey

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline denyse_aus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 March 14 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Garstonite,

The Jessey you're looking at is the daughter of James Crewe & Jessie Munro Scott Thompson.

I'm trying to find out who raised Jessie Munro Scott Thompson/Thomson. She was born 1810 in Scotland & I've found a record that might be about her.

I need to know if Samuel Ward & Anne Ward nee Crewe raised her. If so, she was the illegitimate daughter of Thomas Munro & the mystery of her parentage will be solved.

Regards,
Denyse
CHS: Boulderstone, Lomas, Bracegirdle, Worsencroft, Whitelegg, Jones, Simpson, Harding, Walley, Crewe<br />LAN: Butterworth, Holme, Brierley, Hoyle, Keary, Taylor, Bonney, Winterbottom, Bennison, Roscoe<br />W/MIDS: Stringer, Gill, Hampton, Hancox, Grainger, Parkes, Bodily, Jeavons, Ellis, Troman<br />MSX, LON, SRY: Stoner, Russell, Colebrook, Deighton, Husher, Bonney, Knott, Boatwright, Woodman, Smith<br />CLA: Quinn, Creedy, McGrath, McInerney, Arkins<br />COR: Lenihan, Connor, Byrne, Welsh<br

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 March 14 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denyse,

This is confusing  ???

Garstonite's post looks to refer to the same person but as Jessie Munro Scott - perhaps Scott  was her mother's name?
If she was born in 1810, then having children in 1830s would fit and of course they are named Crewe.
Jessel Munro Crew, daughter, was born 1839.
Is your Jessie Thompson or Scott?

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 March 14 09:46 GMT (UK) »
James Crewe and Jessie Munro Scott Thomson marriage 1833 Shrewsbury but in the baptism records,she is referred to as Scott.

Is this the reference to her father you have? http://www.oxforddnb.com/templates/article.jsp?articleid=19549&back=

It does look very promising. I see elsewhere that you have her on her daughter's records as Scott formerly Thompson. That would imply a previous marriage  :-\

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 March 14 12:06 GMT (UK) »
yes Heywood - I am confused now ...
My 3xGt-Grandparents, Jessey Munro THOMPSON & James CREWE were both witnesses to the will of Samuel WARD on 3 Aug 1831, two years before Jessey & James married.
                                                 .......................................................... so this IS Jessey and James having the children on my post from 1834
so ...how does Jessey Munro Thompson become Jessey Munro Scott ??...maybe this is the dilema that Denyse is referring to ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 March 14 14:29 GMT (UK) »
The article refers to her as Jessie Thompson. I can't find it now but I thought I read that on a daughter's certificate - death? she  is Scott formerly Thompson.

Again from the article, Sir Thomas Munro died 1827 and left an annual sum to Jessie. I wonder if the will is available?

Yes, it is http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D201693

Perhaps that would say where Jessie was living.

Offline denyse_aus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 March 14 05:02 GMT (UK) »
This is the most confusing line I've tried researching. It all began when I had Australian newspaper death & marriage notices of the grandchildren of James Crewe & Jessie Munro Scott/ Jessie Munro Scott Thomson. She was a spinster, Jessie Thomson, when she married James & in wedding notices in English newspapers. On their children's baptismal records her maiden name was Jessie Scott.

The notices mention their great-grandfather (father of the above Jessie) having been Gen. Sir Charles Munro, Bart. Ayrshire. I assumed the daughter of James & Jessie, Jessie Munro Crewe, who immigrated to Queensland in 1863, had invented an ancestry to get a social 'leg-up' in her new surroundings. The Australian notices didn't make sense because I thought if Jessie Munro Scott/Jessie Munro Thomson's father was Charles Munro she would have had his surname.

This week I've found an article that confirms the story but it was a Thomas Munro who was her father. She was illegitimate & he sent her to an army family in Shrewsbury, Shropshire to be raised & he acknowledged her in his will. This article states her name was Jessie Thomson See paragraph 11 at http://www.oxforddnb.com/templates/article.jsp?articleid=19549&back=

This morning I received a copy of Charles Munro's will & I can see where he's made a Jessie Scott one of his beneficiaries, but it doesn't tell me who he sent her to, to be raised, or when.

Denyse in Queensland

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 March 14 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denyse,

Yes, that's the same article I quoted which is clear, then the will also confirms it. However, it is strange that she is Thompson in the article and Scott in the will  :-\

Not sure if you will resolve this. Is there anything in Samuel Ward's will? Sorry, she was a witness wasn't she!

Heywood