Author Topic: ww1 records of a william Gay, Gloucestershire regiment, 10th Batallion, help  (Read 2697 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ww1 records of a william Gay, Gloucestershire regiment, 10th Batallion, help
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 March 14 09:13 GMT (UK) »

"....I have a copy of his death certificate, but where can I gain any other documents connected to this young man...."

Is your interest confined to his military record?

Find My Past has details of his death and gives his birthplace as "Kingswood, Bristol". I think I have found him on the 1911 Census but Rootschat rules preclude posting details of the 1911 Census..

This leads to the 1901 Census (RG13  2350  8  5)
Joseph Gay, Head, Marr, 39, Shoemaker
Esther Gay, Wife, Marr, Shoe Maker
Children - George 16 (Tram Conductor), William 12, Earnest 8, Ethel 3, Elizabeth 21, Frederick 18 (Tram Conductor),
Ann Jeffries, Aunt, Single, Cotton Weaver
All born Kingswood, address Hanham Road, Kingswood

Was Walter christened Walter E(a)rnest? I can find him as Walter in 1911 but there is no Walter in the 1901 family - only an Earnest with the same year of birth as the 1911 Walter

FreeBMD has a birth record for a Walter Ernest Gay, Keynsham, Mar 1893, 5c  588 (Kingswood comes under Keynsham Registration District) 

Offline Marinablue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ww1 records of a william Gay, Gloucestershire regiment, 10th Batallion, help
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 17:25 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Walter Gay was my Great Grandfather's brother. So I am 100% certain of his parents and his siblings. Walter was not Walter E Gay and the 1911 census you chosen is not the correct one.
But thank you so much for your support and inquiry.

I was looking for information about Walter's military records, as I am a complete novice, hence my request.

Take care

Offline mareanna

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 July 15 17:00 BST (UK) »
extract from register of soldier's effects  :(
St Quentin
Weston/Wesson, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire & Leicestershire
Merriman - Stanford on Soar, Canada & Australia
Antill and Wood-Antill, in Mountsorrel, Leicestershire, Caernarfonshire, Canada & New Zealand
Bamford, Northamptonshire & Derbyshire
Baum
Curtis
Richards
Elwin
Locker
Robinson
Langham
Langsdale
Ferguson - Ireland and Devon
Bamford
Newbold
Dobie - Dumfriesshire & Co Durham
Jones, incl Broster Jones and Tyzack Jones
Scranton, Philadelphia

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 July 15 08:46 BST (UK) »
204026 was in a block (starting 200001) allocated to the 4th Gloucesters in March 1917. They had 1st/4th, 2nd/4th and 3rd/4th Battalions in 1917 so they would have taken the first 2000 or so. 4026 suggests a very late joining date. He would have started in the 3rd Bn 4th Gloucesters for training. He may have been with the 2nd/4th in France for a while. Or was sent straight to the 10th Battalion in France. By this time they did not change the six-digit numbers when a man was transferred.

According to http://www.1914-1918.net/glos.htm they were disbanded in February 1918 so he must have been captured before then.

Here is the 10th's last War Diary - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7351896

If you have the time you can look for records that have survived for men with nearby numbers, to discover when he was conscripted.

Ken