Author Topic: Mary Williams-George Patterson Robertson  (Read 3525 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Mary Williams-George Patterson Robertson
« on: Thursday 20 March 14 11:13 GMT (UK) »
As ever with these things a contact I received this morning on Ancestry from another Conway descendant has led me to look again at one or two members of the related family.

My relative Mary Conway born in Flint Flintshire in 1822 married a George Williams at Holy Cross Woodchurch Cheshire in 1846.They had a daughter Mary born in 1854 in Woodchurch.I have her marrying a George Patterson Robertson and I have them in Birkenhead in 1881.
RG11/3574/101/3.

There is a death of a George Patterson Robertson in Birkenhead in 1882 showing as born in c 1853.Now the first thing to say is that this George Patterson Robertson is not to be confused with the one of the same name who married a Mary Swain at Hyde in 1880.That couple are showing in later Census years.I believe my Mary and George's marriage may well have been the Mary Williams and George Robertson whose marriage is showing at Kirkdale St Mary Liverpool in 1873.

As far as Mary is concerned,I have no definite sighting of her in 1891 but the 1901 Census shows a Mary Williams showing as Married and born in c 1853 and with parents George and Mary Williams at Woodchurch.
RG13/3386/31/21.

Now mother Mary(Conway) Williams dies in 1901 and Mary shows in 1911 with her widowed father.This time she shows as a widow.Strangely she shows as married for 10 years and also as having 5 children all showing as living.At this point I have to say that I only have four Robertson children of George P and Mary all born in Birkenhead,James(1875),Mary(1876),Barbara Ellen(1878) and George(1880).

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how she became Williams again?Also I am looking for the fifth child?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Williams-George Patterson Robertson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 March 14 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I don`t know why she reverted to Williams, but the fifth child could be Esther Tighe who was 6 months old on the 1891 census for Salford, a boarder (she was Hester on this).  Along with her widowed father George and brother Patrick they were living with a Mary Robinson (sic) 36, and children Barbara and George born Birkenhead.  Am I correct in thinking that daughter Barbara married William Murphy in Salford 1895?  If so the Esther is living with them on the 1901 census and listed as Sister in Law.

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 March 14 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mo,you are correct in saying Barbara Ellen married William Murphy at Salford in 1895.I will check out the 1891 entry and also the 1901 entry where it seems I may well have overlooked the Esther.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 March 14 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Can you post the 1891 Census reference please Mo,I'm not finding them as you stated ordinarily.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 March 14 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I meant to post it RG12/3222 folio 112 page 39

Mo

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 March 14 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Mo.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 March 14 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Well the Tighe connection is quite intriguing.George and Mary's son James born in 1875 in Birkenhead was to marry a Sarah Marshall at Manchester St John in 1906.The 1911 Census entry for James shows a John Tighe given as a Boarder and born in Manchester in c 1886.

Now I believe this John is the Patrick from the 1891 entry.There being a birth given of a John Patrick Tighe in Manchester in 1886.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 March 14 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Very intriguing indeed.  Thanks for letting me know.

Mo