Author Topic: Seeking a ship that sailed to america 1820  (Read 1676 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Seeking a ship that sailed to america 1820
« on: Thursday 20 March 14 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Not sure I have posted this in the right place.

My Gt x 3 Grandfather emigrated in 1820.  I think he may have sailed from Southampton but I only say that because he lived in West Sussex, it could have been anywhere.

I have a Copy Manifest to America and Disembarkation Docket.  The vessel was called "Christopher" and he disembarked in Philadephia. He subsequently settled in Posey, Indiana.

I am hoping to find out anything I can about the vessel, how long did it take and how much would it cost for 2 adults and 6 children.

I have tried everything I can on google but no luck.

Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking a ship that sailed to america 1820
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 March 14 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Christopher  Years in service:   1910-1917
Built by Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co., Newcastle, England. Single-screw, 11 knots. Triple expansion engines. Two masts and one funnel.
Intermediate type of passenger ship. Renamed: Obuasi. Torpedoed and sunk by submarine off England, July 8, 1917.
Davey ... Fowler ... Jones ... Morrow ...

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 March 14 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for reply
Can't be that one if it was only in service 1910-1917. He sailed 1820. Or have I missed something?

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 March 14 18:49 GMT (UK) »
There were several vessel around in 1820 with the name CHRISTOPHER.
The most likely one made a voyage London to Philadelphia in that year.
Built in Spain in 1809,  A Snow of 205 tons, Master S Rowe Owners Carter and Co she drew 13ft and was last surveyed in 1813.
The Morning Post 22/ July/1820 reporting from Liverpool on the arrival of the CHRISTOPHER said
Christopher, Rhode, from London for Philadelphia, out 56 days, wiih loss of both top-masts.
I suspect the slight deviation of the name Rhode for Rowe. It's spelt Row in Lloyds List which will give you other details.
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt/search?q1=Christopher;id=mdp.39015005778199;view=1up;seq=5;start=1;size=10;page=search;orient=0
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 March 14 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks seaweed that sounds promising. Trying to understand why he might have emigrated. Seemed to be doing quite well farming in this country.anyone any ideas?  Also how would he know about Posey Indiana. It was a new place. The only connection I can make is he was a Baptist and Posey had many Baptists.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 October 17 08:12 BST (UK) »
After a few years on back burner I am back on this one. Having noticed a few things I missed. Vessel sailed from London passenger list dated 30/3/1820. Owners given as Hunt, Pitcarn and Strong. Master looks like Row. Arrived Philadelphia 7 May, 1820. Having looked at Link supplied by seaweed if I understand this right she returned home to Liverpool in July. The 56 days give must be from England to U.S. and back to England, is that right?

My second question. Is there anywhere I can find a list of her sailings from 1820 - 1830. From U.s. to here and visa versa?

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 October 17 08:57 BST (UK) »
Meant to add, it is possible 2 members of family returned home around 1821 but not necessarily on the same vessel.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 October 17 09:47 BST (UK) »
How much would it cost ? Interesting article to scan through.

“Thirty guineas, wines included,” was the standard price quote for cabin class passage
on 1820s and ‘30s North Atlantic sailing packets.  The early steamships of the 1840s
matched, and eventually undercut, such fares, but mainly competed by offering faster
arrival on a more predictable schedule"

http://eh.net/eha/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Weissetal.pdf

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 October 17 10:15 BST (UK) »
Interesting Sandra, thanks. Think he had a few bob, lol. Hit pay dirt with first wife inherited rather grand farmhouse. Continued to do very well in U.S still farming, as did most of his second family of 7 children who I have found.

On passenger and arrival docs we have Mr & Mrs Redman, son and daughter, 7 children. I am thinking son and daughter could be children from first marriage who returned to England within a year as I have found them after 1821 in UK. Failing that I don't know what to make of son and daughter. As far as I can see second wife Jane had no previous marriage or children.