Author Topic: Tombstone and Memorial Inscription check  (Read 3224 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Tombstone and Memorial Inscription check
« on: Friday 21 March 14 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone who lives in or near the parishes of Shaftesbury (St James), and Gillingham who can the churchyards (and inside the churches) for some memorials and tombstones for me? I have references to memorials inside the church and dates of burials.

I am interested in the following names in Shaftesbury (18th - 19th century)

Bennett, Durnford

I am interested in the name Ryall in Gillingham (in particular I would like to find out if there is a grave stone for Samuel Durnford Ryall who died 21 April 1832 and was buried 25 April 1832)

If anyone can do this let me know and I will send you exact details of the people I am looking for (names and dates of burial/death).

Many Thanks

Matthew

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tombstone and Memorial Inscription check
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 March 14 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Regarding Samuel Dumford Ryall, was he or his family wealthy enough or had sufficient social standing for a headstone or memorial to be erected?

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 March 14 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If you get stuck Dorset FHS have transcribed MIs from both Gillingham and Shaftesbury St James.

http://www.dorsetfhs.org.uk/research/mis.htm#container

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 March 14 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Regarding Samuel Dumford Ryall, was he or his family wealthy enough or had sufficient social standing for a headstone or memorial to be erected?

Dawn

Hi Dawn

Samuel's father was the Reverend Narcissus Ryall, B.A who was rector of East Lydford church from 1783-1829 and who is commemorated by a memorial inside the church (I would love to see a photo of this as I have only read transcriptions of it and biographical info about Narcissus from various sources including books on the parish history, the church, and the clergy datbase online). So I am fairly hopeful that there would have been money for memorials when his children died (Narcissus left a will). Narcissus Ryall's uncle, John Ryall, Gent, is also commemorated with a memorial inside East Lydford church. Incidentally Narcissus Ryall's maternal great uncle was the Rev Richard Huson, and Narcissus's great grandfather was the Rev. Richard Huson, M.A who was Vicar of Fifehead Magdalane church. Richard Huson, M.A and Narcissus Ryall, B.A were both educated at Oxford University so I a reasonably sure the Ryall family were either wealthy enough or in good enough social position to afford gravestones or other memorials (other than those mentioned).

Samuel himself was an auctioneer and I have found several references to him in local newspapers. His death is recorded in the paper, as is the inquest which was held, and a notice of his burial. There is also a notice of his marriage I think.

Of Samuel's siblings I have a lot of info on five of them but only dates of birth and baptism for the others. This is what I know so far:

In order

Frances Eliabeth Ryall was born 14 Dec 1784 and christened 8 Aug 1790 at East Lydford
Richard Huson Ryall was born 23 Jul 1786 and christened 8 Aug 1790 at East Lydford
John Ryall was born 20 Jul 1788 and christend 8 Aug 1790 at East Lydford. He was buried 6 Jun 1823 at East Lydford.
Narcissus Ryall was born 14 Feb 1791 and christened 13 Jan 1797 at East Lydford.
Samuel Durnford Ryall - see info above.
Martha Huson Ryall was born 17 Aug 1800 and christened 23 Jan 1806 at East Lydford. She married my ancestor James Dyke on 26 April 1824 at East Lydford. Martha died in Mile End in 1846.
Thomas Durnford Ryall was born 18 Jul 1805 and christened 23 Jan 1806 in East Lydford. He married Pheobe Fry in 1831 and died in Banwell in 1879. He was a farmer and did leave a will.
William Butt Ryall was born 7 Aug 1809 and christened 6 Feb 1810, he must have died soon after as he was buried on 14 Feb 1810.

By the way the middle name Durnford, comes from their mother Frances Durnford who married the Rev. Richard Ryall, M.A in 1783. The middle name Huson comes from their paternal grandmother Martha Huson, wife of Richard Ryall and mother of Narcissus. Narcissus did have an older sister named Martha Ryall who married William Butt in 1769 but I don't know if that is linked to the use of Butt as a middle name for William.

I know that the deaths of Narcissus, Samuel, Thomas as well as their marriages were reported in the newspapers (Narcissus died at East Lydford Rectory) and all the burials I have dates for were recorded in the parish register (which gives the date of death sometimes as well, and birth and baptism dates).

With all this info I have found it would be good to be able to see their memorials or any grave stones that relate to them in the church yard(s) as I don't live near the county.

Hope this helps.

Matthew

Offline StuartDart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 August 15 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Matthew,

Not too sure how to PM you, I'm interested to know if you have a Frances Susan Durnford Dart Born around 1825-30 and consequently married Richard Dart in your tree?

To my knowledge Frances was a daughter of Samuel Durnford Ryall and Mary Ann.

Look forward to hearing from you

Regards Stuart

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 August 15 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

New members need a higher post count of 2 and above to be able to use the personal message system

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Matthew should receive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline StuartDart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 August 15 06:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn thanks for the welcome and tip re messaging.

I'll wait to hear many thanks Stuart