Author Topic: David Murray and Elizabeth Wood  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Beppe

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Murray and Elizabeth Wood
« on: Friday 21 March 14 02:27 GMT (UK) »
I have traced a branch of my family to David Murray  born 1781 in scotland and Elizabeth Wood born in 1784.  One son born to them was William in 1807.  He was born in Bonnyrigg, Midlothian, Scotland and married Janet Haswell.  I have found another website recording a William Murray (16-5-1755) and Janet Paterson (21-4-1757) as David's parents but I cannot find the connection.  As well this particular tree goes all the way to John Murray, 1st Earl of Athol.  I really doubt this, can anyone help?  Thanks Bunny

Offline Alexandrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: David Murray and Elizabeth Wood
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 November 15 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Was about to post regarding a different David Murray and Elizabeth Wood from the late 1600's
My mistake.

Alexandrina Murray
Murray Clan DNA Research Project
MURRAY NOBLE MOFFAT MACDOUGALL  LEES MCINNES  RINTOUL KENNEDY ANDERSON HALL KELSO REID BOWES STEWART LINTON GAFF LOWRIE  ELLIOTT  GRANT TURNBULL BURNETT STENHOUSE MONTGOMERY SWORD CARROLL DALGLEISH  Mostly of the Scottish Borders Selkirk & Melrose Temple Balantrodoch & Skye

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: David Murray and Elizabeth Wood
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 November 15 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I have traced a branch of my family to David Murray  born 1781 in scotland and Elizabeth Wood born in 1784.  One son born to them was William in 1807.  He was born in Bonnyrigg, Midlothian, Scotland and married Janet Haswell.  I have found another website recording a William Murray (16-5-1755) and Janet Paterson (21-4-1757) as David's parents but I cannot find the connection.  As well this particular tree goes all the way to John Murray, 1st Earl of Athol.  I really doubt this, can anyone help?  Thanks Bunny

You're right to be wary of other websites.

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

The 'Community Contributed' IGI (a useful finding aid but not to be relied on in its own right) at Family Search lists five children of David Murray and Elizabeth Wood
William, born 5 September 1807, Cockpen, Midlothian
Janet, born 21 July 1809, Cockpen, Midlothian
John, born 12 December 1812, Lasswade, Midlothian
James, born 25 March 1816, Polton, Midlothian
Robert, born 14 August 1819, Bonnyrigg, Midlothian, married Jessie Archibald

Based on those names and the Scottish naming tradition I would expect David's father to be William and Elizabeth's mother to be Janet. But it's quite possible that David's mother was also Janet, or that they did not follow the naming tradition.

There are no results to a search on Scotland's People for children of David Murray and * Wood between 1800 and 1854, so this information came from somewhere other than SP. You would have to contact the LDS Church to find out where it did come from.

Noting that Robert and Jessie had a large family and that he died in Utah in 1884, this could be a submission by a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.