Author Topic: IGI/LDS Marriage John Griffith and Hannah Coley Worcester Cathedral 21Jan1740  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
This item may be the breakthrough I have been looking for for too long.

I posted request for information under Monmouthshire Lookup Requests 2005 or earlier. It appeared that my family lived in Mitcheltroy Mon. for most of 18th Century. Perhaps less now.

The entry in IGI has John Griffith b. c1715 Bedwardine St John, Worcs. marry Hannah Coley b. c1719 Stone, Staffs. at Worcester Cathedral by licence 21 January 1740.

I strongly suspect these people are my antecedents, moved to Mitcheltroy, Mon and their children were Michael bn. 1741, Thomas bn. 1743 (from whom I am descended) and Tacy bn. 1747.

Of course, next step is who were the parents of John Griffith(s). Normally and now the name Griffiths is used in proper anglicised form.

I would be most grateful if anyone has Worcester knowledge. My researches were almost entirely Gloucestershire and Monmouthshire.   

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: IGI/LDS Marriage John Griffith and Hannah Coley Worcester Cathedral 21Jan1740
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Regorian

According to the marriage licence dated (old-style Julian calendar) 21 January 1740 (so 1741 to us),  John Griffiths of St John in Bedwardine in the Diocese of Worcester was aged about twenty four and Hannah Coley of Stone in the same diocese was aged about twenty seven. If this was true then he would have been born about 1717, which more or less fits with what you say, but she was older and probably born about 1714.

The birth registers for Stone, Worcestershiree don’t appear to be free on-line for the period that you want. It was a chapelry in the parish of Chaddesley Corbett and 4 miles from Hartlebury, Worcestershire. Hartlebury’s birth registers are on the Familysearch website and there is Hannah Coley of about the right age. Well, something to think about...

Jack

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: IGI/LDS Marriage John Griffith and Hannah Coley Worcester Cathedral 21Jan1740
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if this helps but, the village of Hartlebury Worcs.  is about 3 miles from Stone where there is this baptism

Hannah Coley bp. 18 Feb 1714 dau. of John and Hannah Coley.

Siblings ~ Ann , Joseph, Sarah and John

claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 13:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Jack and Claire, most appreciated. I really think this might well be the breakthrough of the proverbial 'brick wall'. I have been stuck fast for at least 10 years.

The reason I latched onto this marriage was because the LDS contributor stated John b. c1715 and Hannah b. c1719. The same annotations were made on submitted records re their children born Mitchel Troy, Mon.

You mention Hartlebury, there is a baptism of a John Griffiths 3rd April 1715 OS, parents John and Anne.

I think I'm on my way again. Naturally, I will have to try and disprove this line, children born to John and Hannah in Worcester area after 1741 would break the link to Mitchel Troy, Mon. However, direct route from Worcester to Mitchel Troy, A449 and last bit A40, why the move, I'll probably never know. I would like to get back into the 1600's at least.

Roger   

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 14:46 BST (UK) »
I was just going to point out that there is a parish of Stone near Kidderminster but notice someone has beaten me to it. Tell you what, Im going up to stay at Crossway Green (about 10 miles from Worcester) & get into the Hive (record office) once a week so will check the Stone registers to se if I can find a baptism for a Hannah Coley C1719 so wish me luck

All the very best

Phil
Weston-super-Mare
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Phil,

That's very kind of you. My problem was always that there were so few generations (3?) and relatives in the 18th Century and missing PR entries.

This Worcester connection seems to have opened up a whole new perspective. Obviously Griffiths is a Welsh name but all the way, there's nobody and nothing that emanates from Wales.

Originally, I posted a request in Monmouthshire Requests, Griffiths, Mitcheltroy. under my own name, Forgot my password so re-registered as Regorian.

Best Wishes,

Roger 

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger

Think nothing of it & I honestly hope that I can find something for you

All the very best

Phil
ps I wont be going to WOR till the 14th & my first visit to the Hive this time will be on 15th APR
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 April 14 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger

I clean forgot that I have a fiche transcript of Stone parish registers (up to about 1837) so was able to do the look up a bit sooner that I expected but Im sorry that this is all I could find

Samuel Whittingham of Hanbury = Sarah Coley otp on 11 JUN 1752

Samuel Cally = Mary Potter botp on 20 APR 1711

I could find no other name varient that would fit

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 April 14 14:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Phil,

Samuel Cally = Mary Potter 20Apr1711 could have been the parents of 'my' Hannah Coley.

Swindon Library has Worcestershire IGI 1992 on Fiche and I have made an appointment for Monday morning. It comes to something when the old 'paper' records are still best. I have seen whole family lines jump off 2 or 3 pages all the way back from 1837 to 1538ish.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Best Wishes,

Roger