Author Topic: IGI/LDS Marriage John Griffith and Hannah Coley Worcester Cathedral 21Jan1740  (Read 4464 times)

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: IGI/LDS Marriage John Griffith and Hannah Coley Worcester Cathedral 21Jan1740
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 April 14 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Roger
I’ve had a look at St John’s Worcester Parish records which are on film at the Worcs Archive. The early ones are typed transcripts. I looked for Griffith (s) births from 1741 to 1761.
1) There weren’t any baptism between 1741 and 1761 with parents named as John and Hannah Griffith(s).
2) No burials between 1741 and 1761 for John and Hannah Griffiths, nor for any children with parents of those names.

The National Burial Index does show a John and a Hannah Griffiths being buried at St John in 1786 for John and 1798 for Hannah. Those two people don’t seem to have left wills. There aren’t any likely looking later Worcestershire wills for John and Hannah. The will for John Griffiths of St Johns in 1803, lists his children and the names don’t match up to your family’s.

I did look at Mary Colly’s 1797 will. She was living in Lincomb in the parish of Hartlebury when she died and she was buried at Hartlebury. She left bequests to her “sister Ann Knowles otherwise Clymer” and her grandchildren John and Elizabeth Tipper. Coincidentally (?),  Richard Clymer of Stone was the other person named on John and Hannah’s marriage bond.

Regards
Jack

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: IGI/LDS Marriage John Griffith and Hannah Coley Worcester Cathedral 21Jan1740
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 April 14 21:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this. I think you sent me a PM which I replied to but the reply has disappeared.

I will be searching the Worcestershire IGI at Swindon Library. The entries for marriage of John Griffiths and Hannah Coley at Worcester 1740 and the baptisms of 3 children, 1741, 1743 and 1747 at Mitchel Troy, Mon in IGI have the same annotations, I don't believe in coincidences, I'll keep you posted.

Best Wishes,

Roger 

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 April 14 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Roger

I did get your reply, thank you.

Hugh Walllis' website shows which parish registers have been transcribed by the LDS and are included on the IGI, which you are going to look at in Swindon.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/

To see films of ALL the surviving parish registers or Bishop's Transcripts I believe you will need to visit the Worcs Archives.

Jack

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 10:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Jack. If there had been births from 1740, my whole quest would have been lost. There are 90 pages of Worcestershire Griffiths's on IGI. I will spend an hour at a time from next Monday (Local Studies), they're not open all week.

John's literacy is an issue. Also, he died in 1749, widow and 3 children on the Parish for some time. Seen the disbursement records for Mitchel Troy.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 July 14 22:05 BST (UK) »
Just to update this matter as of 4th July 2014. Jack's (Eastbury) post of 14th April effectively demolished the Worcester connection in his second para. My Mitcheltroy John and Hannah died 1749 and 1780 respectively.

Pity really, The Worcester connection, if it had existed could have even provided a reason for the eldest son being named Michael born at Mitcheltroy 1741. Michael name featured frequently in Worcester at the time but not in Monmouthshire or Gloucestershire.

The entries in IGI were via patron submissions, not extractions, which suggests that the patron's are either related or interested and know something. Earlier this evening I tried to register with IGI and send PM's to the patron's who made the submissions. It didn't work successfully.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 13:05 BST (UK) »
Just to round off this Thread. A 2nd cousin employed a professional genealogist to push our FH further back. One generation as it happens as PR's only start 1695. John Griffiths was born Llandogo, Mon. 1702. He lived and died in Mitcheltroy Mon. 1749, but was buried in Llandogo, Mon. That was quite common in our family then. Hannah remains as elusive as ever as to birth and marriage dying and being buried in Mitcheltroy, Mon. 1780.