Author Topic: Gillard family resident st Hellier 1851  (Read 7821 times)

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gillard family resident st Hellier 1851
« on: Saturday 22 March 14 00:00 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking details of the following family who appear on the 1851 census in St Hellier. In the 1841 census my husband's 3x Great grandmother is a widow in Cornwall with her youngish family. I thought she may have remarried as I could find none of her children in the 1851 census and then lo and behold she appears in St Hellier with her 2 youngest children.

Catherine Gillard Widow 56 Nurse
Edward 14 Shoemaker's apprentice
Harriet 22 Servant

I would like to know if there is any record for Catherine's death in Jersey or a marriage for Harriet.
Edward, whose baptismal name was Edward Lillicrapp Gillard appears in the marriage records in Bath in 1863.

Catherine- maiden name Lilliecrapp- was born in 1796 St Juliot Cornwall.

Also does anyone have suggestions why there would be removal from Cornwall to Jersey from 1841-1851? In 1841 Catherine is faming the family farm after the death of her husband in 1839.

If anyone can help with the above I would be very grateful.

Regards
Sue

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gillard family resident st Hellier 1851
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 March 14 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at Jerripedia....a website which has a lot of records and other interesting things.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 March 14 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

You could also try contacting the Channel Islands Family History Society

www.jerseyfamilyhistory.org

Susan

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 March 14 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I'll look it up next week when everywhere is open.

Stewart

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 March 14 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions especially to Stewart for volunteering a look-up. I have discovered a few more things about this family. It seems that Catherine's sons William and John may have come to Jersey too.
1851 Census St Brelade
William Gillard 36  England  Quarryman
Mary Ann  31 England
Sarah 8 England
William 6 St Helier
Mary Ann 2 St Brelade

Also in the family was a Charles Tabb 18 born St Lawrence Jersey given as brother in law. I am wondering if he was indeed Mary Ann’s brother as she is given as born in England. I cannot find a marriage for William and Mary in England but have a William Gillard in 1841 in St Brelade so they possibly married in Jersey  then went back to Cornwall for birth of Sarah and that is when his mother Catherine came to Jersey. It fits with the birth of his second child in 1845 in Jersey.
Sarah was registered in the Camelford area in which the parish of Treneglos is situated. This is the village where the Gillards came from.
Also John Gillard is in the 1851 Census
John Gillard 27 Stable Servant  b. England
Sophia E  37 Grouville Jersey
Sophia E 2 St Helier

They are also in 1861 Census with another daughter Ann M b. 1856 St Helier
I do have access to the Censuses but would love any birth/marriage/death dates  especially the death of Catherine.
So once again many thanks
Sue

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 March 14 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Catherine Lillicrap, widow of Simon Gillard, died 31st Jan 1860 at 40, Dorset Street, St. Helier, aged 67 years. She died from "Vieillesse". Edward Lillicrap was present at her death.(Ref: St. Helier deaths, Dec 1858 to May 1860, volume 13, page 77)

Now while I was searching the deaths from 1851 to 1861 I came across a death for a Josiah Gillard (Ref: St. Helier deaths, Sep 1854 to Dec 1855, volume 10, page 21). The surname Gillard is not common in Jersey so made a note of it in case it was relevant. He died at 00:30 on the 25th (and I've just noted I didn't record the date!!!) from "paralysie". Present at his death is (what looks like) Keziah Gillard.

But of more importance was a death for Simon Lillicrap Gillard on 11th Feb 1857 aged 19 years from "thshisie". Present at his death was Maria Mill (Ref: St. Helier deaths, Aug 1850 to Dec 1851, volume 7, page 37).

I'm sorry some of the cause of death and names are a bit suspect. The Registrars writing in the 1850's was very fine and difficult to read.

I'll have a look for a marriage of William Gillard to a Mary Ann in the next few days.

Stewart

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Dear Stewart

What wonderful finds. I cannot thank you enough for all the work you have done.
Simon Gillard was one of Catherine’s sons born 1832 Treneglos. ( I think that there is perhaps a typo as his date of death maybe should read 1851 given that the volume you have taken it from is 1850-1851). That then makes his death date concur with his birth date. I had no idea what happened to him so thank you. The transcriptions make good sense. His cause of death in English would be phthisis –otherwise known as tuberculosis.
The informant you gave as Maria Mill. I have done a bit of tracking around and have come up with a possible identity for her.

As I said William Gillard married a Mary Ann around 1842/3 given the age of his first child Sarah in the 1851 census (8).
In the 1861 Census he is with a wife Maria born England and the following:
GILLARD, Maria   Wife   Married   F   43   1818      England
TOMS, Sarah Mills   Stepdaughter To Head      F   7   1854      St Helier, Jersey
TOMS, Fanny   Stepdaughter To Head      F   7   1854      St Helier, Jersey
TOMS, James Mills   Stepson To Head      M   4   1857
TOMS, Mary Anne Mills   Stepdaughter To Head      F   3   1858      St Helier, Jersey
GILLARD, Alice Mill   Daughter Of Head      F   0 (7M)   1861      St Helier, Jersey
GILLARD, John Joseph   Son Of Head By 1st Wife             St Brelade,      Jersey

It suggests to me that William’s first wife Mary An died and he remarried Maria Mills or Mill  (who had married Toms)
Catherine died of “Old Age”
Finally the Josiah seems not to be related as in the 1861 Census he is given as from Devon and his wife from Coldridge Devon.

So once again thanks for all your work. It was most satisfying knowing where the x3Granmother had ended her days.
Kind regards
Sue

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 13:08 GMT (UK) »
WILLIAM Gillard Baptised 11 May 1845, St Helier, Jersey
Parents WILLIAM/MARY ANN nee TABBS
Fathers Occp Mariner
Godparents Nathaniel Edwards and Sarah Tabbs
Birth 14 April 1845

Strangely there is a William Baptised 2 May 1845/Birth 13 April 1845, Same Parents, Mother Tabb
Fathers occp Shopkeeper.

ALICE MILL Gillard although born 1860 was Baptised 29 Jan 1868 to WILLIAM/MARIA Nee MILL

SOPHIA ELIZABETH Gillard was Baptised 18 March 1859 to JOHN/SOPHIA ELIZABETH Gill nee DOWNER

All on FreeREG www.freereg.org.uk

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Progress!

I have searched first for marriages of William Gillard. I have found one on 23rd May 1860. William Gillard, 40 years old and a widower. He was living in St. Helier but came from Cornwall. The exact place I can't make out as I don't recognise the town/village and the writing is appalling!! It looks like Jienertflofs (could it be Treneglos?), but the J's could be I's or T's. He was a labourer. His father was Simon Gillard, a farmer (Ref: St. Helier Parish marriages, Aug 1859 to Jun 1863, page 23)

He married Maria Mills, aged 43 years and the widow of George Toms (how helpful). She also lived in St. Helier but was born at Marham Church, Cornwall. Her father was William Mills, a farmer.

I then found a death for Mary Ann Gillard. (Ref: St Brelade deaths, Aug 1842 to Dec 1853, page 43). She died 26th Oct 1847 aged 22 years from "inflammation". William Gillard was present at her death.

So I've still to find William Gillard's first marriage.

Stewart

PS Sorry about the typo, you are correct of course.