Author Topic: Electoral Rolls, General  (Read 4377 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Electoral Rolls, General
« on: Monday 24 March 14 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Are there any online historical electoral rolls, for places other than London which appear on A*******y?

I have several ancestors in various places in England, and would like to be able to trace their movements, if any. For most I have birth, marriage and death location, but as these are frequently different, I would like to find out when they moved.

Any assistance would be very gratefully received, even negative information, as this would eliminate that method of tracing.

A Chesters
In Australia

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral Rolls, General
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 March 14 07:12 GMT (UK) »
SoG holds many Poll Books - see http://sog.ourarchives.info/bin/recordslist.php for a list
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 March 14 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes historical directories can help
http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 March 14 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Very few historial electoral registers are online as the undertaking to digitise the pages and transcscribe the entries even with OCR is huge.

You will generally find that if an achives is working with Ancestry or FindMyPast to digitise their colelctions, then electoral registers may go online at some time.

I do know that FindMyPast is working with the British Library to digitise their collection of registers but I don't know what years will be digitised and when they will become available.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much for that information.

Graham, would it be best to join SoG, or does membership of SAG (Australia) help?

Rosie, just how late are the Historical dirctories on line? Some of the people I am interested in are up to the Second World War.

Dawn, I had not thought that far ahead. Most of the Australian electoral rolls are on microfische. Even the latest rolls are available, or were last time I checked the rolls.

Again, many thanks to all of you.

AC

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 07:40 GMT (UK) »

Rosie, just how late are the Historical dirctories on line? Some of the people I am interested in are up to the Second World War.

Sorry I have no idea, the site is free though and it would depend where in the country you are looking.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much for that information.

Graham, would it be best to join SoG, or does membership of SAG (Australia) help?

Afraid I don't know whether SOG and SAG have a mutual assistance deal - it seems to me that it'd be a good thing....
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.

Rosie, form what I have been able to see on the Historical Directories site, they only go to the end of WW1. If they go further, it must be counties I have not needed to look at.

Graham, I am a member of SAG, and will have to ask the question. it is just that for various reasons, I have not been able to get onto Sydney city to use the library and computers there.

Again, many thanks for you help

AC

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 08:18 GMT (UK) »
what time period are you looking for?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,