Author Topic: Lancashire Surname Interests  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Lancashire Surname Interests
« on: Wednesday 14 July 04 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi All  ;D,

I am researching the following surnames - all in Stalybridge, Lancs.

Shepherd, Fisher, Bayley, Worral, Lock -

Would be pleased to hear from anyone with the same interest.

Regards,
Aaron
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re: Lancashire Surname Interests
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Aaron,

I went to 166 High Street and I am very sorry to say that it no longer exist   The houses have long gone and all that was there was this grassed area with trees on.

I found St John's Duckinfield which believe it or not would have been within a couple of strides of where 116 would have been as you can see in the photograph.

I took a photograph of a Public house which would have been just a couple of doors away.

RootsChat
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 21:23 BST (UK) »

I went in search of Brierley Street and found a Brierley street near the riverand cemetery.  I don't think this is the right Street as there would only be room for maybe two small terraced at the most  :-\

I found Booth Street but all that is left are a couple of small terraced as shown in the photograph (Number 66 is showing) It looks like this was once a long Street but there are some newer 1970's buildings which now cross through part of the old Street.
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 21:29 BST (UK) »

This is the last photograph !!

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hey RootsChat!! :D

I can't thank you enough for the photos and for taking the trouble to visit Stalybridge for me.

St John's Church is beautiful. I know my Great Grandparents were married there and I expect my grandmother was Baptised there too as the church was so close to them.

I can't believe how green the grass is. We have been in drought here for years and everything is burnt brown.

I think it is all beautiful and I am in your debt big time!

Aaron ( now on cloud nine ) ;D ;D

Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 23:02 BST (UK) »

These pictures did not come out very well due to heavy rain  :'(

The first one is a view from the Church doorway looking down the grave yard to the road, in the distance you can see the Mills of Stalybridge.

On the second photograph you can see where 166 once stood which is the highest piece of green.

RootsChat