Author Topic: John Coupland Black  (Read 6484 times)

Offline rac3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Coupland Black
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 14:53 BST (UK) »
As far as I know John has always had the middle name Coupland.  On his marriage certificate in 1873 the Coupland had changed to Copeland.  I have been told that John was never baptised as he was born out of wedlock.

I have a found Margaret Black in the 1841 census living at King Street, Kelton aged 25.  Also living there was a John Black aged 60 but this is not her father.  Her father was James Black born 17 July 1796 and was baptised at Kirkgunzzion, Urr.  His occupation was a weaver.  Margaret was born 11 May 1812 and baptised 14 May 1812 at Hardgate, Urr.  I have since found some notes with these dates on.

Unfortunately I do not live in Scotland so I am unable to look at the Kirk Sessions.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 16:19 BST (UK) »
As far as I know John has always had the middle name Coupland.  On his marriage certificate in 1873 the Coupland had changed to Copeland.  I have been told that John was never baptised as he was born out of wedlock.

Hi rac3
What I meant when I said he may have picked up the name Coupland was - that although this could well be his natural father's surname that it might not appear on his birth/christening record if such a record existed.  So far we have not turned up a baptism , so the first record you have of John Coupland Black is his marriage.
I was interested to know if Margaret was with parents on the 1841 to see if we could locate then on the 1851 (perhaps with a young male grandchild :-\ )
Looby :)

Offline rac3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
I have been given information that a Agnes Irving who married a Samuel Morrison in 1843 was living with a James Black who was a hand loom linen weaver in 1841 census in Urr parish.  But was given no information of Margaret living with them.  I have not been able to find this census record on any of the ancestry sites.  This Agnes is the Agnes that Margaret was living with in 1851 and Margaret was listed with no occupation.

John's mother was working as a maid in Keswick, Cumberland in 1861 census.  I have found a John Black in the 1861 census living in the Poor Law Union Workhouse in Cockermouth, Cumberland aged 10 but under the birth column it says birthplace unknown.